Interesting dealership experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our local Dodge dealership has had a 2012 Mustang GT on their used lot for over a year. It has 11,000 miles on it and they want $27,000 for it.

I can't believe they would sit on a used car for that long.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
Our local Dodge dealership has had a 2012 Mustang GT on their used lot for over a year. It has 11,000 miles on it and they want $27,000 for it.

Wayne

Me either, it sounds like the used car manager should be given his walking papers.

While the dealership owns the used cars and doesn't have any goals with the manufacturer to retain their franchise, the salesmen have individual sales goals. Goals are monthly/quarterly/yearly - so while the dealership may not be in a rush to move the used cars at any particular time, the salesmen may be interested in it to try to meet their goal.

I believe most dealers don't make much money at all on new cars; it's all in the used cars. I bet they gave someone between $12000 and $15000 for this one.

Wayne

I've driven by an 03 540i for as long as I can remember, 3+ years, at a little used lot. Maybe its his weekend car or something? He is taking $2k off now, so its a steal at $10.5k!

Not so much with used cars, but with new my recent experience with Ram, Ford, and Toyota is that you get a better deal taking some sort of financing.

If you plan to pay for the vehicle you can still do so just a month later.

Ford was offering my friend $4300 off his 2015 F150 if he took their 5% financing. He was going to pay for the truck with a check but now that would be foolish. When he gets the first bill he can simply pay the entire loan and still save that $4300.

Lastly interest rates are so low if the note is under 2% its silly to burn good productive dollars in a depreciating asset. The feds stated inflation goal is 2%, so over say 60 months that's free money.

Why put $40k into a depreciating asset when it can be invested for 5 years at a rate higher than 2%?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Wayne

I've driven by an 03 540i for as long as I can remember, 3+ years, at a little used lot. Maybe its his weekend car or something? He is taking $2k off now, so its a steal at $10.5k!

There's a used car lot across from where I work. They have had some of the same cars since I have worked here (2012). A friend went to look at a 2009 Focus in 2012. It was a previous rental and it had 50 or 60K miles on it. They had it for $12,999 I believe. Could have bought it new for that.

It sat for another 2 years before it either went to auction or someone finally overpaid for it.

I bought a new 02 F-250 and after some hot seated negotiation I made them a firm offer and clearly stated that was my final offer and not one penny more and I signed the work sheet.

They worked up the bill of sale and added 50 bucks for a administration fee. I asked them what it was for and they gave this song and dance about paying for the paper work. I reminded them it was their expense not mine the same as the utilities are their expense of doing business and I reminded them what my FINAL offer was and not one penny more. They removed the 50 dollar fee [laughing]

Originally Posted By: Durangoboy
I bought a new 02 F-250 and after some hot seated negotiation I made them a firm offer and clearly stated that was my final offer and not one penny more and I signed the work sheet.

They worked up the bill of sale and added 50 bucks for a administration fee. I asked them what it was for and they gave this song and dance about paying for the paper work. I reminded them it was their expense not mine the same as the utilities are their expense of doing business and I reminded them what my FINAL offer was and not one penny more. They removed the 50 dollar fee [laughing]

Funny, can you imagine anywhere else in the economy where they would try and pull that? I guess real estate comes to mind....to me it pathetic to try and steal, and I do mean steal, $50 from you.

I also hate "haggle free" dealerships. I'm in my mid 20's and I find it amusing that consumers would trust a dealership over a no haggle price! There is wiggle room on almost anything you buy. CARMAX has very strict tactics. They treat you all lovingly and they make you feel like you are their priority. So consumers get blind sided by their professionalism and trust the dealers word. Some people will pay more for that kind of "service" I guess... Also, that shiny 1 year old car at CARMAX can also be found at your local car rental used car lot for $$thousands$$ less.

You can still make an offer on at a "haggle free" dealer.

Originally Posted By: stower17
I also hate "haggle free" dealerships. I'm in my mid 20's and I find it amusing that consumers would trust a dealership over a no haggle price! There is wiggle room on almost anything you buy. CARMAX has very strict tactics. They treat you all lovingly and they make you feel like you are their priority. So consumers get blind sided by their professionalism and trust the dealers word. Some people will pay more for that kind of "service" I guess... Also, that shiny 1 year old car at CARMAX can also be found at your local car rental used car lot for $$thousands$$ less.

Carmax are rip-off artists. I remember years ago looking at a 94 300ZX at one of the Dallas locations. The driver's side leather seat was all split up,showing foam. The weatherstripping was dry rotted. The AC compressor needed to be replaced. I told them to take off $1500 (the quote I got to replace the compressor) and I'd give them cash on the spot for it. The douche sales guy arrogantly squawked out "We're a no haggle dealership". I was like,what the [censored]?? Selling a car without AC in Texas is like selling ice at the north pole.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: stower17

Carmax are rip-off artists. I remember years ago looking at a 94 300ZX at one of the Dallas locations. The driver's side leather seat was all split up,showing foam. The weatherstripping was dry rotted. The AC compressor needed to be replaced. I told them to take off $1500 (the quote I got to replace the compressor) and I'd give them cash on the spot for it. The douche sales guy arrogantly squawked out "We're a no haggle dealership". I was like,what the [censored]?? Selling a car without AC in Texas is like selling ice at the north pole.

You used the wrong negotiating tactic. When they're no haggle, they mean no haggle on the price, but you can still negotiate other things. You should have told them to fix the ac and other problems the car had and gone with their price. Once they start discounting and you tell everybody, there goes their no haggle policy. Better to lose one sale sticking to the policy than to start discounting all the cars that they sell. Kind of a big picture vs small picture thing. Makes sense at the corporate level but not at the individual level.

I actually just bought a 2012 Rav4 about 6 months ago for 20K. Only had about 21,000 miles, V6 (which is what I wanted and 2012 was the last year for the V6), AWD, sunroof and came with a Toyota Certified warranty. I'm happy with the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back