'07 BMW Z4 3.0SI 10k, Amsoil EFM 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car sits for long periods of time, 8-9 months sometimes. It's kept outside, but it is covered, and I keep a battery tender on it. This OCI was 27 months. I started driving it more this Summer, putting around 7500 on it since August 1st. In these few months, it has also seen a lot of idling time, where I would go out and run the A/C just to get out out of the office and have time to myself. We're talking an hour, 5 days a week, not to mention, sitting in traffic for part of mile 90 mile daily commute. There was one road trip in there to Indianapolis (Moto GP).

Oil- Amsoil EFM 5w-40
Oil Added- None
Filter- Mahle
Miles on oil- 10,000
Miles on unit- 31,000

Blackstone:

This is another good one for your BMW. The oil was in use for 27 months, but that didn't hurt
anything. You can thank the EPA for that one -- the strict emissions controls keep it so that
moisture/contamination doesn't really get into the engine so rust/corrosion isn't a serious problem. Metals
look pretty good, with everything holding quite steady compared to last time. The TBN was a little stronger,
at 3.9, and that's still a good reading. No contamination was found. The idling didn't seem to translate into
excess wear or fuel dilution. Try 12,000 miles. Nice!

ALUMINUM-8
CHROMIUM-0
IRON-15
COPPER-21
LEAD-1
TIN-3
MOLYBDENUM-13
NICKEL-0
MANGANESE-3
SILVER-0
TITANIUM-0
POTASSIUM-0
BORON-48
SILICON-4
SODIUM-5
CALCIUM-2994
MAGNESIUM-61
PHOSPHORUS-926
ZINC-1136
BARIUM-0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C-67.6
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F-12.32
Flashpoint in °F-405
Fuel %-0.5
Antifreeze %-0.0
Water-0.0
Insolubles-0.2
TBN-3.9

IN: K&N Filter, CAM2 Blue Blood Elite Euro 5w-40

*ACEA A3/B4-12, BMW Longlife-01, MB P229.5, VW 501.01, VW 502.00/505.00, Porsche A40 and is suitable for use in Opel GM-LL B-025 and Renault 0700, 0710; It meets or exceeds API SN service classification*

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I have an 06 Highlander that has been started every 3 months and moved about 200 miles per year. It has been this way for almost 3 years. I changed the oil 3 years ago and meant to change in every year but got lazy. I have Castrol Syntec in there and will change it this weekend. I was worried that the oil in my crankcase was breaking down and may cause excessive wear due to age. Your post calms my fears. THANKS AGAIN!!

I try to go at least 10k on any synthetic (once I see a trend), regardless of time. I've never seen it where "time" made a difference, though I think at 3 years, I'd get a lil antsy.

montero1, Why use CAM2 oil now? Most people just stumble into Walmart and get one of the 0w-40 oils on the shelf.

I did see a PS-7014 K&N oil filter that had deformed badly in the oil filter cage. I wouldn't use that brand.

I have had nothing but good luck with K&N Cartridge filters in my Mini, and my old Mercedes. I hate Walmart.

montero1, I hear ya about Walmart.
CAM2 comes from right here in Colorado, as a company-blender anyway. Wondering where much iron even comes from in an N52 BMW engine anway? There are no iron sleeves, just Alusil aluminimum-silicon cylinder bores.

montero1, if I wasn't so smitten with M1 or Castrol 0w-40 at wallymart, I'd be getting the Lubrizol-JoeGibbs Driven DT40 High Performance Motor Oil. Lubrizol put together a very stout package to stand up to Porsche punishment. summit Racing sells it, others.

And Joe Gibbs has come out with a very stout pricing package to hammer Porsche owners.
wink.gif

I used DT40 in my Mini. I just don't drive the Z4 on a racetrack, no need for the JG oils.

Originally Posted By: montero1
I used DT40 in my Mini. I just don't drive the Z4 on a racetrack, no need for the JG oils.

We could say the same about any of the LL-01 229.5 A40 oils, they are all race oils. Mobil says their standard 0w-40 is a racing oil, & its been used in IndyCars and LeMans 24hr.
I do agree you could even use a Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 and experience no problem if you didn't sustain high revs like on a racetrack.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: montero1

We could say the same about any of the LL-01 229.5 A40 oils, they are all race oils. Mobil says their standard 0w-40 is a racing oil, & its been used in IndyCars and LeMans 24hr.
I do agree you could even use a Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 and experience no problem if you didn't sustain high revs like on a racetrack.

I would use Dt40, but its $12-$13/qt, and the Cam 2 is $6+/qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back