Is canadian TGMO same as american?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After going through some UOA and posts I noticed that canadian 0w20 Mazda's oil is not the same one as the american one, because the american one has way more molly and supplied by a different manufacturer.

So I have to go with TGMO instead and I am wondering if they are both the same quality american/canadian?

Last edited:
Since no car manufacturer is in the business of blending oil, they can switch their suppliers at any time. Chasing TGMO, Mazda or Honda branded oils is simply silly. I know that thanks to few members here, these oils in particular are now being seen as some sort of holy grail of oils, but since no car dealer is bound to one brand of oil, they can sell you whatever they want, especially if it's out of the bulk oil tank.

Originally Posted By: cdavidc1949
It might not be the same. Honda oil in Canada is made by petro Canada and in the US its Exxon/Mobil. TGMO in Canada might be the same

Canadian-market Toyota Genuine Motor Oil is made by Exxon Mobil and is sold by XOM's Canadian subsidiary, Imperial Oil. It is the same stuff as that sold in the US.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Since no car manufacturer is in the business of blending oil, they can switch their suppliers at any time. Chasing TGMO, Mazda or Honda branded oils is simply silly. I know that thanks to few members here, these oils in particular are now being seen as some sort of holy grail of oils, but since no car dealer is bound to one brand of oil, they can sell you whatever they want, especially if it's out of the bulk oil tank.

Wow! You managed to answer his simple question by not really answering it and taking a cheap shot at his (and many people's) choice to use and discuss it. Nice job.

Originally Posted By: the_saint

It's not the holy grail, its just a really solid oil. What is that "silly"?

I agree. I make sure to buy the TGMO in bottles, I dont trust what they have in bulk. I can get TGMO for 5.55$ per quart (1 liter), which is quite cheap for synthetic oil in Canada. But I use whatever, M1, Pennz products or TGMO.

It's not the holy grail, its just a really solid oil. What is that "silly"?

I'm not sure if you read some of the early threads about 0W20 TGMO, but yeah, lots of people treated it as a holy grail. 0w20 actually put TGMO on the BITOG radar. Every time you mention TGMO, it is implied that you are talking about 0W20 TGMO because most people don't know that there are other grades sold as TGMO.

Before the 0w20 TGMO bonanza, nobody on BITOG was ever looking for TGMO. Ever! Even now nobody ever asks about 5w30 TGMO. Then we had quite a number of people that seemed very disappointed when they took their cars in for an oil change to the Toyota dealerships in hopes of getting the unicorn juice only to find out that the dealer used some lowly Castrol, Petro Canada or some other brand of 0w20 oil. The tone of their threads was that they got the inferior oil, hence their disappointment.

Also we have the last and probably the only one available MSDS about the 0w20 TGMO that was from Exon that was published in 2011! That's it, there is no other official documentation that was presented about this oil, at least no other that I'm aware of, as I stopped following TGMO closely once I realized it's just another flavor of the month, hyped up oil.
We have a plethora of oil brands available in 0w20 flavor, but yet people are still seeking out this magical TGMO that nobody is even sure of its latest specs.

IMO, but yes, it's quite silly.

Wow! You managed to answer his simple question by not really answering it and taking a cheap shot at his (and many people's) choice to use and discuss it. Nice job.

Wow, this is what took you to finally post since you joined back in 2013? Somebody pointing out that chasing TGMO for no reason other than it being TGMO may be silly?

Incredible.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
So I have to go with TGMO instead and I am wondering if they are both the same quality american/canadian?

OP, I apologize for what seems like a thread highjack on my part. That's not what I meant.

What I simply tried to point out is that:
- any bulk 0w20 oil sold in Toyota dealerships I would simply skip because other than trusting the parts guy, there is no other way to check who made the oil.
- even the bottled 0w20 TGMO is questionable in my mind. The 2011 MSDS from Exxon was for US only and it was published over 4 years ago. Things change very quickly in auto world. Canada may use a different supplier and other than some speculation and comparing oil bottles, we really have no solid evidence that US TGMO is the same as Canadian TGMO.

However, I'm sure that whatever is sold as 0w20 TGMO will meet the specs of your Mazda 3.

That's all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewie
After going through some UOA and posts I noticed that canadian 0w20 Mazda's oil is not the same one as the american one, because the american one has way more molly and supplied by a different manufacturer.

If memory serves Mazdas Oil is Blended by Petro Can but it is not a Petro Can Product.
Canada has weird rules about motor oil thats what I was told.
Ill double check in 5 hours time.

Weird rules? The only rule I've come across is French/English labeling and excessively high prices.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
KrisZ said:

Wow, this is what took you to finally post since you joined back in 2013? Somebody pointing out that chasing TGMO for no reason other than it being TGMO may be silly?

Incredible. [/quote

To the op, thanks for starting a decent thread.
I responded only because we grow tired of reading posts that do not answer the question, or actually add anything significant. Please just move along.

To the op, thanks for starting a decent thread.

Technically he could have just used the search function, as this has been covered before. So I guess it depends on what your definition of a "decent thread" is
wink.gif

I responded only because we grow tired of reading posts that do not answer the question, or actually add anything significant. Please just move along.

Who is "we"? Is this a royal "we" or is there more than one person using your account? I grow tired of threads that ask the same questions that have been asked and answered what must be hundreds of times already. Yet they happen, and frequently. In the big scheme of things you simply didn't like Kris's commentary as to the potential value of seeking out TGMO, which was a legitimate observation/talking point and certainly wasn't near as useless as somebody starting a new thread about the "best oil" for the 500th time.

Pick your battles. I still can't believe that it was that post that brought you out of two years of Tibetan sworn silence where you lurked but would not speak. I find that truly remarkable.

Basically, there is no TGMO that used to have tons of molly.

I guess I gotta give my money to the bigger companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back