Here comes the urea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Volkswagen says it will change over to urea injection for Nox control in both Europe and US.

http://news.yahoo.com/german-governor-vw-admitted-deception-earlier-083839937--finance.html

33.gif
35.gif

Interesting.. I thought the sole purpose of DEF injection was for regenerating the emissions components on the exhaust system.

Nope, urea controls NOx. What is funny is when the new diesel owners throw a huge fit about having to buy the urea. They obviously never rear their owners manual. These are the same people that make a scene because an oil change on a Ford diesel requires 13-16 quarts of oil depending on the engine.

And the reason my 2013 Passat needs DEF only every 10,000 miles is that VW thought Americans would balk at adding it every 5000 miles. So they cut the injection rate back so that it is not reacting with all the NOx. How dumb and lazy do they think we are? Every 3-5 months, I have to use two minutes of my time to use the screw in VW DEF bottle to add more fluid?

You also have to find space to house that urea tank, which isn't small, or else you'd have to fill it too often. Will the owners have to give up trunk space to house it?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Nope, urea controls NOx. What is funny is when the new diesel owners throw a huge fit about having to buy the urea. They obviously never rear their owners manual. These are the same people that make a scene because an oil change on a Ford diesel requires 13-16 quarts of oil depending on the engine.

No need to poop a brick...Adblue is just 40 cents per quart and the proportion is about 5% of the diesel the engine uses, so for a full tank that would be a bit over 2 quarts.

So if a "simple" ECU re-tune isn't the fix, how viable was this "clean diesel" technology to begin with now that they're switching to something that will require not only software, but hardware too. Makes you wonder just how high up this mess really goes.

Actually, my unferstanding was incorrect. It isn't considered the fix for existing cheat vehicles...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/business/international/volkswagen-diesel-emissions.html

INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS

Volkswagen, in Future Cars, to Adopt New System for Controlling Diesel Emissions
By MELISSA EDDYOCT. 13, 2015
Advertisement

BERLIN — Volkswagen said on Tuesday that it would revamp the technology it uses for controlling diesel exhaust in future models as it struggles to overcome an emissions cheating scandal that has battered its reputation and threatened its financial stability.

The company said it would switch to what it called a selective catalytic reduction system to decrease emissions on its diesel engines in Europe and North America, where the scandal erupted last month.

The approach is conceptually similar to an emissions control system that Volkswagen considered until 2007, when it adopted the system now at the center of its scandal. The alternative technology, which is not part of its plan to fix cars already in circulation, was rejected by the company at the time as too costly.

Reflecting the scandal’s mounting financial toll, Volkswagen also said on Tuesday that it would cut investments at its leading brand by 1 billion euros, or about $1.1 billion. That will limit the company’s ability to innovate at a time when carmakers are trying to keep ahead of a rush of new technology.

The change involves adding a tank of a urea-based fluid to clean exhaust and affects only coming models, said Peter Thul, a spokesman for Volkswagen.

“Diesel vehicles will only be equipped with exhaust emissions systems that use the best environmental technology,” Herbert Diess, chairman of the company’s car brand, based in Wolfsburg, Germany, said in a statement on Tuesday. The change will take place “as soon as possible,” according to the statement.

It also appears that Volkswagen will be moving away from diesel as its preferred clean technology. Volkswagen said on Tuesday that it was pushing ahead with the development of electric and plug-in hybrid cars based on a series of components that can be used in different models.

Exemplifying this shift will be a transformation of the next generation of the company’s luxury Phaeton limousine into an all-electric model, expected to reach showrooms in 2019 or 2020.

Last week, Volkswagen submitted a detailed proposal to the authorities here of how it planned to remove from its vehicles in Germany the software used to cheat emissions tests. The Federal Motor Transport Authority is reviewing Volkswagen’s proposal to remedy the issue on its 1.2-, 1.6- and 2-liter diesel engines.

The German Transport Ministry has said there will be a recall for affected vehicles, with a software fix for the 2-liter engines expected to be ready early next year. The 1.6-liter motors, however, would require further modifications that cannot be expected before later in 2016. No information has been released regarding a fix for the 1.2-liter engines.

Indeed! People should do their due diligence before investing in a modern diesel. I am more than pleased with mine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You also have to find space to house that urea tank, which isn't small, or else you'd have to fill it too often. Will the owners have to give up trunk space to house it?

Say goodbye to the spare tire, maybe they'll get a can of fix-a-flat with their upgrade...at least that's what they do on the Chevy Cruise Diesel.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I'm just glad my hate for Volkswagen is finally vindicated.

It was irrational before.

+1! Stupid Nazi Car! Lol
28.gif

Originally Posted By: Boomer
How dumb and lazy do they think we are?
Dumb and lazy enough to have a test programmed in .

Originally Posted By: Boomer
And the reason my 2013 Passat needs DEF only every 10,000 miles is that VW thought Americans would balk at adding it every 5000 miles. So they cut the injection rate back so that it is not reacting with all the NOx. How dumb and lazy do they think we are? Every 3-5 months, I have to use two minutes of my time to use the screw in VW DEF bottle to add more fluid?

Can you blame them? It seems like the current American dream car is one that autonomously delivers its "driver" to a destination entered into a smart phone.

Are the owner's manuals available online now? Because otherwise, I can't see when a new car buyer is going to have the opportunity to access the thing for long enough to read it except after they have taken delivery.

It would be fun to see every new vehicle buyer sitting in the dealership for an hour while they read the one from the car on the floor from cover to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back