Have you ever noticed this about sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't seem to matter which sport it is, or whether it's the pros or college, the same teams are good every year, and the same teams are bad every year. Wouldn't it be nice just once to see the Lions and the Jags in a Super Bowl? Or how about a college football team ranked #1 other than OH St. or Alabama? What happened to this supposed parity that was supposed to be the new thing in sports? I see no parity at all...I see the same teams doing well, or doing poorly every year...it's getting old...

I also found it interesting how one team gives 100% but the other team somehow wasn't up to their 100% so they lost. The next time they will have to give 110% so that they can win. As a result locker room interviews are the absolute worst. Every single one of them are the same.

We aren't good at all this year with a new coach, but we don't have that red faced, loud mouth idiot running up and down the sideline making a fool of himself on TV. No pass protection and skill at all in catching the ball even when it hits the numbers.But we don't have "Mark" so all is well. Oh, by the way, we are glad Youngstown State has him and we don't.

Ohio State #1 followed by Baylor, TCU, Utah, and Clemson. Alabama fell to 10th this week. USC and Georgia dropped out of the top 25 this week. Dallas is 2&3, Atlanta, Cincinnati and Carolina are undefeated. I agree, it would be nice to see an underdog win a championship for a change.....except for college basketball. I hope my Blue Devils win it all again this year! Go Duke!!!

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
We aren't good at all this year with a new coach, but we don't have that red faced, loud mouth idiot running up and down the sideline making a fool of himself on TV.

Yea Bo was truly a friggin embarrassment to Nebraska.. Glad to see him gone. Riley seems like a pretty good guy. He did well at Oregon State. I always thought highly of Nebraska (as a PSU alum). Good fit fo the Big10, unlike Maryland and Rutgers...scheesch.

Originally Posted By: grampi
It doesn't seem to matter which sport it is, or whether it's the pros or college, the same teams are good every year, and the same teams are bad every year. Wouldn't it be nice just once to see the Lions and the Jags in a Super Bowl? Or how about a college football team ranked #1 other than OH St. or Alabama? What happened to this supposed parity that was supposed to be the new thing in sports? I see no parity at all...I see the same teams doing well, or doing poorly every year...it's getting old...

To some degree what you say is true but really it is more of a cyclical thing. More so in pro sports than college. A pro team may be good for a few years or even a decade plus but eventually they will crash and burn and suffer through some droughts. It just seems like forever and always while a team is on an upswing. I remember thinking the 49'ers would never lose or the Yankees would never lose. Eventually they do.

A perfect example is the Boston Celtics. They dominated the NBA from 1957-1969 winning 11 of the 13 championships in that period. While they weren't as dominant from a Championship perspective in the 70's they still were a dominant team. They won 2 Championships from 1970-1980( 74 & 76 )and made the Eastern Conference finals 4 other times( 72/73/75/80 ). From 1981-1988 they were dominant again. They made the Eastern Conference Final every year except for one( 1983 )and they appeared in 5 of 7 Championship games; winning 3 of them( 81/84/86 ).

Then the fall came and it was a long hard fall! From 1989 to 2007 it was mostly down for the Celtics. There were a few spurts of good play, and they even made the Eastern Conference finals in 2002, but mostly they were average or below in that entire span from 89-07. They were a classic example of players getting old and the new guys not stepping up, poor drafting, bad coaches, and bad management decisions being made all around.

In 2008 they returned to the Championship game and won for the 1st time in 22 years following a blockbuster trade that brought in all star talent to go with a good nucleus already in place and a good coach. They were a very good team from 2009-2012 making the Championship series again( lost in 2010 )and the Eastern Conference Finals again( lost 2012 ). After that age caught up to them and the team was blown up and they are now at the bottom rebuilding again.

They have some good young talent and aren't far away if they can sign a key FA or two and draft wisely. They are teetering on the fence and it will depend now on moves made by management as to which side they fall on to? They have good young players and a good coach. Now they need a star veteran FA, or two, to bring it home. They will not return to dominance if the wrong moves are made. Just being the Celtics isn't enough.

Sorry for the Celtics history lesson( I am not actually an NBA fan but the Celtics are the home team so I know about them ). They are just a classic example of how a team can go from a dominant dynasty that looks like it will never fade to bottom dwellers in the blink of an eye; and it can last for a LONG time.

Pro sports at least require good management( scouts and drafting, GM, manager/coach, etc... )in addition to good players. They also need to be able to compete financially with the other owners or they are doomed. You can always spend foolishly and hurt yourself if you have more money than the other guys so it doesn't guarantee you will win( see Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers in recent history ). However, if you can outspend everyone else it sure helps. I would love to see MLB get a salary cap like the NFL and especially see them be able to cut players who don't perform rather than be stuck with huge albatross contracts.

Last edited:
2 years ago UCONN won the men's NCAA basketball tournament with a team that only a month before the tournament wasn't even going to the tournament if they didn't win a few games in the league playoffs. They ripped off several wins in a row to lose out to Louisville in the AAC tournament final. Then ran off 6 in a row in the NCAA's while beating the #1,2,3,4 seeds. They were a 7 seed. The Kentucky team they beat for the title was full of soon to be NBAers. And none of the UCONN players from that team have established themselves as decent pro's yet. But, in college you have a chance.

That's why I watch college sports...and not so much the pro's.

This isn't really that true.

But there's nothing stopping an organization from keeping the same successful recruiting staff and coaching staff for decades.

They can keep them forever.

That's why.

This certainly isn't getting old!

cubs-logo.jpg

There are 3 specifically that I'm really getting sick of being on top...NE in pro football, OH St. in college football, and either the Cards of the Giants in MLB...thankfully, the Cards and Giants are out this year...now we just need some other teams ending up on top other than OH St. and NE this year...

The leagues can do all sorts of things to try to even out the teams. But some teams have stupid owners or management teams, and no amount of rules can eliminate all of that stupidity.

There are 3 specifically that I'm really getting sick of being on top...NE in pro football, OH St. in college football, and either the Cards of the Giants in MLB...thankfully, the Cards and Giants are out this year...now we just need some other teams ending up on top other than OH St. and NE this year...

OSU hasn't been on top for ten plus years. They weren't on top until the final game of the season. The way they're playing, they won't repeat.
The pro teams draft well. That's what the fans pay them to do. Unless some wacky rule is made that punishes success, they will remain on top as long as they find good talent.

Once you have a program established, you simply add new recruits at one end and produce quality players at the other.

In the college realm, the recruits can choose which school they go to. So players will gravitate to schools like Ohio State and Alabama when it comes to football and to Kentucky and the like when it comes to basketball.

It's harder for other schools who don't have the reputation. If you are a consistent winner, you get the first shot at new talent.

In the pros, there is a draft, and the teams that have losing records get first pick.

But it's not just about having first choice at raw talent. What do you do with it? Again, if your program is mediocre, you'll continue to get mediocre results.

That's why, (In my opinion) you don't see first round draft choices turning around sub-par pro-teams.

If you have a good program, you can turn average raw talent into world class winners.

It comes down to training and execution. Do you have coaches and trainers and administrators with a good plan for success?

If you don't, you'll just grind up your talent and have little or nothing to show for it.

I am so bummed out on college sports. All scholarship players now receive another "stipend" $1500 to $5000 per year. You would think a full scholarship or half scholarship would be more than enough.

Oh don't forget.better food, better dorms and better everything..scheesch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back