filter paranoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run an oem on the sonata as I've heard they are picky in terms of noise. but for the other 2 vehicles I was running purolator classics but recently came across members mentioning tears. should I switch? looking for a filter in the same price range as the classic that is stocked in stores.... micro guard? or stay with the classic? the vehicles are an 03 ram 4.7 and a 95 accord with almost 500k miles

With 500,000 miles on the Honda tell us about the driving and the maintenance procedures you used?

Wix makes a good filter from their low priced filters to their top filters they all seem to be constructed very well.. The ultra seems to be a good choice if you prefer synthetic.. What are your choices in your area?

Tearolator
shocked.gif

Why not use the same oil filter on your Sonata and Accord? I personally have been using Hyundai oil filters on my 03 Honda CRV for about 20,000 miles. Hyundai warranties their engines for 100,000 miles so the oil filter must be decent; in addition, the reviews on Hyundai oil filters look great.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Why not use the same oil filter on your Sonata and Accord? I personally have been using Hyundai oil filters on my 03 Honda CRV for about 20,000 miles. Hyundai warranties their engines for 100,000 miles so the oil filter must be decent; in addition, the reviews on Hyundai oil filters look great.

I've thought about that since they use the same size/thread. I'm
probably gonna go with the wix or Hyundai. although right now I can get a gram ultra for 4.29 with coupon and speed perks at AAP

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
i have never seen a wix for less than 7.97

that is way too expensive

Word around the campfire is that Napa is having their semi-annual Napa Gold (Wix) filter sale.
Discount is around 50% off.
Dates and participation seems to vary by location.

I plan to use that excellent hyundai filter next on my Nissan - since Nissan filters are too small and made by GONHER in Mexico.
pay the $$ and use the Hyundai.

You are gonna get a lot of mixed feeling about puro a lot of bitog stopped using them and several won't admit they even had issues. That's just a call you will have to make.hyunidai/Kia filters are made very well if you don't mind going to dealerships or ordering online. Wix and fram ultra or tough guard are good choices and more available. Here is a Kia I posted a while back.

^^^ The first 470,000 miles was with Purolators that didn't tear.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
I run an oem on the sonata as I've heard they are picky in terms of noise. but for the other 2 vehicles I was running purolator classics but recently came across members mentioning tears. should I switch? looking for a filter in the same price range as the classic that is stocked in stores.... micro guard? or stay with the classic? the vehicles are an 03 ram 4.7 and a 95 accord with almost 500k miles

Purolator Classics are excellent filters with a proven track record, the value proposition is just icing on the cake.

This forum has a small dedicated sect of complainers with an biased agenda. See through the muck and live life worrying about the important things, not amateur witch doctors proclaiming hogwash.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Purolator Classics are excellent filters with a proven track record, the value proposition is just icing on the cake.

This forum has a small dedicated sect of complainers with an biased agenda. See through the muck and live life worrying about the important things, not amateur witch doctors proclaiming hogwash.

And here we have the king of biased agendas. And for once I do agree with you purolator classics do have a track record of tearing.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I plan to use that excellent hyundai filter next on my Nissan - since Nissan filters are too small and made by GONHER in Mexico.
pay the $$ and use the Hyundai.

Will Honda OEM A01 ** FILTECH **
Work for you NISSAN???

Will they fit.

At 500k you're going to start worrying about Purolator Classics? The classics have carried your car to 500k. Keep doing what you're doing. They're good filters. Most of people that complain about them are fram fanboys that are mad that most of their filters have cardboard as end caps
55.gif
And if you still want to swtich, Napa Silvers are in the same price range as them and are very good as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

And here we have the king of biased agendas. And for once I do agree with you purolator classics do have a track record of tearing.

LOL ... yeah, that's pretty hilarious stuff. It's all "hogwash" I tell ya!
wink.gif

Here's some "excellent proven track record" data for the noobs. Add about 20 more instances not listed because the list hasn't been kept up to date for a long time.

Purolator's "Track Record"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back