Repower Trac Vac 880 or rebuild 8HP Briggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Subaru engines, but either the Honda or the Robin may not work in my application. I have a light knock in the Briggs and this is for my Trac Vac 880 so I would need the impeller and the impeller housing to mount to the engine. I'm pretty sure the impeller/shaft is 1" diameter, then I have the mounting holes to contend with for the housing.

This is a real strong running 8HP, one of the better engines I've used so maybe it's worthy of a rebuild.

What are your opinions?

The Briggs is a:

Model: 192432
Type: 1189-E1
Code: 0005291A

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: i6pwr

Model: 192432
Type: 1189-E1
Code: 0005291A

I looked at the parts list for that engine. They have a chrome ring kit available as part number 299743 (standard size). I've used those chrome ring kits before and they are absolutely fantastic. They cut their own path into the bore and restore compression nicely. You don't have to hone the cylinder at all. If you have a knock in your engine, all you'd need is a new rod, the ring kit, side cover gasket, head gasket, and two oil seals for the crankshaft. That engine is a piece of cake to work on. Send me a PM if you need the parts list and service manual. I can send them to a Gmail address easy.

That Briggs 8hp would be kind of a neat engine to hang on to for nostalgia purposes given it's a flat-head 8hp. Those 8's were long lasting engines.

With one of today's OHV variants, you'll get about the same power out of one in the ~6hp range and use a lot less fuel.

I did consider the HF engines, something to add is this model uses a larger 6-blade impeller over the standard 4 blade. Also pulls through an 8" hose so torque is an issue.

Once the housing loads up with grass, leavea, debris there is quite a load on the motor so that's why I need at least what I have in power or more.

If I can rebuild this for under $150 or close to it then that may be the route to take.

A 10HP Robin EX would be sweet....
smile.gif

I would run it and then replace it. Even with a knock there is a good chance that engine will still run for a long time. My experience is those Briggs are indestrucable. I ve seen some serious abuse done to them.

A quality modern engine is better. I'd suggest replacing the engine with something new. That way you are not dealing with old carb and old ign parts.

I found a flathead 8HP Subaru engine at surplus center a few years back. It's far better than the Briggs it replaced (shredder/mulcher) .

If you can afford it, a 270cc Honda engine is hard to beat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I must've accidentally used invisible ink in my previous post.
confused2.gif

Ha.....nope, you didn't.

Does it have to be a gmail?

PM me.

Most times I repair. Knock is .rod wristpin or main bearing. Check wristpin and crank and polish both.
Is there smoke or burn off? That can come from valve train, too. Not just rings.

I have the fun power 5hp on the shelf. 20+yes of gocart duty. Past tired but no noise.
Will get hot can, valve train, sleeve, piston/rings, mill/pocket head, billet rod, etc.

Good luck that Briggs done right will surpass the first fifteen years of service.

Harvey

No smoke, starts on first pull generally, 2 if it sits for a few weeks.

If the block(bore) is all aluminum, don't waste your time rebuiding, get a new engine or run the B&S till it stops which might be a long time coming.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
If the block(bore) is all aluminum, don't waste your time rebuilding,

Why's that ? I have a 1968 horizontal shaft Briggs all tricked out. It has a longer connecting rod from a 3.5 HP motor. It has Magnetron ignition. And it has standard size chrome rings in it. All aluminum block. It used to be a smoker even with only .001'' wear on the cylinder wall. Those chrome rings changed it from a smoker to a high compression hot rod.

what's your time worth? engine swap could be quicker if it mates. I picked up the current HF predator (honda clone) and have been pleased with it thusfar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back