Anybody ever use Gunbroker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought and sold on Gunbroker. The site itself is easy to navigate.

It's very much like eBay; the individual sellers dictate how the transaction will go. Look at feedback before making a purchase.

Lots of transactions both buyer and seller. I like to ask a question or 2 of the seller to get a feel for them by how they answer. Ask for more pics if you can't see the item clearly. Check their feedback. My last buy was a 16" 10/22 barrel that turned out to be a standard 18.5" when I got it. I sent msg confirming it was 16" before I bought. Seller was selling for a friend, was embarrassed, refunded me entire amount. Like anything else, due diligence.

I've never bought any firearms on-line, but I'm assuming when someone buys on-line that the gun needs to be sent to a licensed firearm dealer to complete the purchase? You hear talk about all these supposed "loop holes" to get around background checks when buying on-line ... but is that really true?

The "loop hole" they talk about is the private sale loop hole, they just know better than to state that. I'm a big fan of those loop holes.

The rules are going to different in every state on how you can transfer guns. I assume in most states if you find an in state gun on gunbroker and do a face to face transaction with the seller who isn't a dealer you'd be taking advantage of the loop hole.

There are templates available online which can help document the private sale of a firearm to another. I highly recommend using these forms, with both parties signing and retaining a signed copy. This will document the serial number and type of firearm should there ever be an issue going forward, especially if you are the original purchaser of the firearm.

Originally Posted By: cwing6
There are templates available online which can help document the private sale of a firearm to another. I highly recommend using these forms, with both parties signing and retaining a signed copy. This will document the serial number and type of firearm should there ever be an issue going forward, especially if you are the original purchaser of the firearm.

Yep, and I'd never sell a gun to anyone without transferring the serial number. Why would I want to be still linked to a firearm I don't own anymore?

Originally Posted By: hatt
The "loop hole" they talk about is the private sale loop hole, they just know better than to state that.

In my state, if I read the law correctly, even in a private sale I'm supposed to go to a registered gun seller to transfer the firearm and have a background check done on the buyer. I'm assuming this is only for pistols and not long guns (?). Only time that isn't necessary under the law is if the gun was a give to a family member or certain relatives as a "gift".

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
In the free state of Arizona 2 citizens in good standing are allowed to buy and sell any legal to own firearm with no governmental intervention. As it should be.

Absolutely. The government has zero business knowing if or how many guns a citizen owns. Let alone where or who he bought them from. It's none of their business.

Gunbroker is okay, unless there is a panic buy on and then its about impossible to get a reasonable deal. I bought and sold many guns on there in my FFL days.

One thing that it is good for is getting weird, rare, and obscure guns. As a mil surp collector Gunbroker saved me from going around to gunshows in vain to get some oddballs.

Private sales are legal in Ohio but all the sales out of State require an FFL. I was just wondering if any of the sellers on there were scammers. I have a FFL that charges me $25 and is 2 miles away so most of my latest purchases are new and on line.

But years ago I sold many guns with no documentation.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Private sales are legal in Ohio but all the sales out of State require an FFL. I was just wondering if any of the sellers on there were scammers. I have a FFL that charges me $25 and is 2 miles away so most of my latest purchases are new and on line.

But years ago I sold many guns with no documentation.

Like on any auction site you get some shady characters. I once tried to buy a Husqvarna made Mauser 98 Sporting Rifle from a guy. When I wont it for little to nothing on a no reserve auction, the seller immediately tried every excuse he could to make me back out of the sale. He said stuff like it had a cracked stock and was unsafe to shoot. I told him I bought it as a parts gun to settle that. He then just refused to let me have it. I then left him negative feedback. I was contacted by his lawyer shortly after and threatened with a lawsuit for libel if I did not remove my negative feedback.

I noticed it popped back up for sale, with a reserve, a few weeks later for about 8x what I won it for. Clearly a nutjob with sellers remorse and probably a lawyer drinking buddy or family member.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
He then just refused to let me have it. I then left him negative feedback. I was contacted by his lawyer shortly after and threatened with a lawsuit for libel if I did not remove my negative feedback.

If what you wrote was true, then I doubt they had an legal recourse. But from the sound of that clown, he probably would have made up lies to make it look like you were in the wrong.

I said nothing that was untruthful, but I was a poor grad student at the time and did not want to have to deal with going to a court to defend myself.

I did however write about the whole affair to the gunbroker people with all of our exchanged messages and they booted the seller after reviewing the case.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I said nothing that was untruthful, but I was a poor grad student at the time and did not want to have to deal with going to a court to defend myself.

I did however write about the whole affair to the gunbroker people with all of our exchanged messages and they booted the seller after reviewing the case.

Good that clown got booted off the site. He probably just signed up with a different username and kept practicing his nonsense.

I've bought a brand new gun there. A used gun is really at your own risk. Used guns ,you just need to touch and feel them, unless its a collector gun that you won't shoot.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I've never bought any firearms on-line, but I'm assuming when someone buys on-line that the gun needs to be sent to a licensed firearm dealer to complete the purchase? You hear talk about all these supposed "loop holes" to get around background checks when buying on-line ... but is that really true?

There are no online loop holes. There isn't a gun dealer in the country that will sell you a gun direct without it going to a FFL dealer to complete the transfer.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

There are no online loop holes. There isn't a gun dealer in the country that will sell you a gun direct without it going to a FFL dealer to complete the transfer.

That's what I though, so every time I hear some statement on TV that makes it sound like you can just get on-line and have a gun delivered to your doorstep somewhat agitates me.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

That's what I though, so every time I hear some statement on TV that makes it sound like you can just get on-line and have a gun delivered to your doorstep somewhat agitates me.

Low information media reporters who know NOTHING about the subject....which is a problem.

Most liberals I know are really shocked when they watch the NICS demo video on Youtube.

I've had good luck but only deal with major sellers who take credit cards for payment. A local dealer happily does the transfers for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back