Mobil1 High Mileage NOT ILSAC GF-5 compliant

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. I've been looking to switch to Mobil1 HM oil. Only thing is... Mobil HM oils don't meet ILSAC standards............ Which is what Toyota recommends for the 2AZ-FE................ thoughts?

ILSAC is a minimum performance std defined in part by a joint committee of Japanese and American carmakers. It's not the "be all end all" of oil specs. It resource conserving HEAVY.
There may be a small aspect of the HM oil that DOESNT MEET ILSAC/API resource conserving oils like fuel mileage improvement or volatility - or the formulator said " Im not spending $$ to certify a fringe product". If you like it use it.
I would use Pennzoil bronze bottle HM - a good oil.

Why would you need a HM oil? Got leaks?

Originally Posted By: Luisraul924
So. I've been looking to switch to Mobil1 HM oil. Only thing is... Mobil HM oils don't meet ILSAC standards............ Which is what Toyota recommends for the 2AZ-FE................ thoughts?

My thoughts are you should stick to what Toyota recommends.

Why do you think you need HM oil in the first place?

Ok. To those asking about why I want a HM oil... I have 104k miles on my engine. I have no external leaks whatsoever, but I do have some oil consumption. Nothing too major but it's at about 1.5 qts every 5k miles. I have an oil catch can on the pcv (which has been recently replaced with a Toyota OEM PCV) system and there is no oil whatsoever in the can. My exhaust isn't smoking, at all. Not on start up and not while hauling a$$. No oil leaking into coolant or vice-versa. Every avenue for logical oil consumption has been explored but everything checks out just fine. It seems to be teleporting out of my engine block.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would use Pennzoil bronze bottle HM - a good oil.

Agreed, however I'm looking to stay synthetic. I may take a looksee at Pennzoil Platinum HM

Some of the HM oils are still "thick for grade" which pretty much eliminates them. The trend the last few years has been to clone the ILSAC Resource Conserving oils with a HM twist, so you should have no problem finding a HM oil that meets your specs. Maxlife likely does and it the king of HM oils anyway, it would be my first try at reducing consumption. I would bet the Mobil Super HM does as well, and the new (gutted IMO) QS Defy I believe does also.

M1 HM is my favorite high mileage oil. It doesn't meet GF5 because it has too much zinc. In theory, it should have better anti wear properties than other high mileage oils. Use with confidence.

Does Mobil 1 High Mileage oil meet the current ILSAC GF-5 motor oil industry standards?

No, we chose not to, to specifically address the protection needs of older vehicles with more than 75,000 miles. The increased base oil viscosity of Mobil 1 High Mileage oils helps reduce wear and provide better high temperature protection for vehicles with over 75,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
It's not like you have a warranty to worry about. Run what you want.

good point on that note... Mobil1 EP is actually .7 cSt higher than HM at 100C... So with that I would imagine possibly lower volitilty... They apparently don't publish their volatility rates.

Last edited:
I would assume Mobil will eventually make their HM line SN/GF-5 at some point being the others have already done so.

Do they have a Mobil semi-synthetic HM down there? Up here, we don't get M1 HM, but we do get Mobil Super 2000 HM, which has been ILSAC rated for a long time, already. In fact, it's the first picture in this thread on API labeling pictures.

Originally Posted By: ryanm8
M1 HM is my favorite high mileage oil. It doesn't meet GF5 because it has too much zinc. In theory, it should have better anti wear properties than other high mileage oils. Use with confidence.

I can second this, have it in a '98 Grand Marquis that was using a qt in approx 2500mi(prior was using M1 or M1 EP), now at almost 4k mi has used 2/3 qt...

Well it is what it is I guess. I have decided against HM oil altogether. Thank you everybody for your responses.

Originally Posted By: Luisraul924
Ok. To those asking about why I want a HM oil... I have 104k miles on my engine. I have no external leaks whatsoever, but I do have some oil consumption. Nothing too major but it's at about 1.5 qts every 5k miles. I have an oil catch can on the pcv (which has been recently replaced with a Toyota OEM PCV) system and there is no oil whatsoever in the can. My exhaust isn't smoking, at all. Not on start up and not while hauling a$$. No oil leaking into coolant or vice-versa. Every avenue for logical oil consumption has been explored but everything checks out just fine. It seems to be teleporting out of my engine block.

What do the emissions tests indicate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back