Free Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 2009 Sentra FE+ 2.0 for free from my employer. It has 292K on it but runs like it has 29K! After giving a once over and fixing all the little items, I noticed it was right at OC time. (Sticker on the window) Used some Havoline Pro DS 5w30 from my stash with an M1 filter. Manual calls for 4 1/8 qt. I put in 4 qts and check the stick. It reads approx 1/4" above full! Checked it 3 more times. Got back under the car and sure enough, there is a small dent in the pan. Looks about 3"x3" and pushed in approx 3/16". Not sure how long its been there but the paint was scuffed off and it has surface rust. The car ran like this for approx 2 yrs (I talked to person it was assigned to).
Should I keep running it or should I drop the pan and bang it out? The dent is not close to the pickup.
EDIT: The job looks easy, no cross members, 10 bolts. If I dont have to fool with it, I wont.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's going to cost you $7K pretty quick when that CVT blows up.

But, hey, a free car is a good car!

I can get them for around $400 from the u pull it with 50-75K miles. Already checked. Plus, 292,OOO miles and it runs fine speaks volumes to me about durability.

A 2009 Sentra with 292K on it, about 50K a year.

Probably a lot of highway miles. I would just drive it until it dropped. Add the 4.2 quarts of oil and leave the oil pan as is unless it leaks. I would maybe hit it with a wire brush and some spray paint to keep it from rusting any more.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I would maybe hit it with a wire brush and some spray paint to keep it from rusting any more.

+1

And congrats to the OP!

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's going to cost you $7K pretty quick when that CVT blows up.

But, hey, a free car is a good car!

I can get them for around $400 from the u pull it with 50-75K miles. Already checked. Plus, 292,OOO miles and it runs fine speaks volumes to me about durability.

Those CVTs weren't the most reliable thing. But Maybe it has been replaced.

Still can't go wrong for free. And if you can get one in decent shape for under $1000 it would be worth putting in when it breaks.

I believe the FE+ model had taller gearing. Not sure what else there was.

Quote:
Probably a lot of highway miles.

90% HW. It was a courier car.
Quote:
Still can't go wrong for free. And if you can get one in decent shape for under $1000 it would be worth putting in when it breaks.

I believe the FE+ model had taller gearing. Not sure what else there was.

Not sure what the FE+ included but the interior is like new and with the exception of 2 small dings, the body and paint is excellent.
Once i give it a clean bill of health, it will become my son's first car.
Quote:
And congrats to the OP!

Thank you!

Last edited:
My experience with the Nissan CVT has been positive so far. I did a drain and fill on the one in our Quest at around 50k, will probably drain and fill every 20 or 30k from now on. I work at a dealer that sells Nissan, and we are starting to see a lot of high mileage CVT's that have been trouble free. One of the guys even has a Murano with 150k on original fluid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back