'98 Tacoma V6 - Old Oil WAY Overfilled!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BIL picked up that 1998 Toyota Tacoma from a Farmer in Iowa that I posted about with 90,000 miles.

I went to change the unknown oil & usage, BUT the Microguard filter had rust spots on it, so it hasn't been changed in a while...
frown.gif

Loosened the drain plug (it was barely on!), drained the oil & it kept coming & coming, right up to the rim of my drain pan!
shocked2.gif
I scrambled to find another pan. WTH! My Sierra drains 6.0 Quarts out and the oil does not go near the rim.

Manual says 5.3 Quarts, I bet 6.8-7.0 Quarts came out
. Then, MORE came out with the filter (barely on & leaking)!

I put in M1 AFE 0w-30 & a NAPA Gold Filter.

Any issues with this much extra oil in it?

What does it matter now, so you can obsess about it? Jut put new oil in it and change the filter and go from there.

I'd say it depends on how long the engine ran with all that extra oil, and if it was aerated or not. I'd also be concerned with leaks now. At this point there's nothing you can do other than what you've done. If it doesn't leak, or the level rise, forget about it!
wink.gif

One question comes to mind: Was it over filled with oil, or did it stink of gas, indicating a problem with the injectors? I'd keep an eye on the oil level.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
What does it matter now, so you can obsess about it? Jut put new oil in it and change the filter and go from there.

33.gif
It's about seeing if there's any long-term issues or if something needs to be checked.

Thanks for adding value to the thread.

The something that needs to be checked is the oil level, which you already did, you can tear the motor apart and measure every surface with a sheet of paper if it makes you feel better but what will you have gained. Is that the only complaint about a 17 year old truck?!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd say it depends on how long the engine ran with all that extra oil, and if it was aerated or not. I'd also be concerned with leaks now. At this point there's nothing you can do other than what you've done. If it doesn't leak, or the level rise, forget about it!
wink.gif

One question comes to mind: Was it over filled with oil, or did it stink of gas, indicating a problem with the injectors? I'd keep an eye on the oil level.

Thanks! It did not smell of gas, so I can safely assume it was oil.

Being that the oil filter had rust pits on it, I bet it was in there a couple of years.
The oil was thickened up as well.

He has some serious health issues, don't have a whole lot of money, and they want to keep this vehicle for a long time, so it is important to them to know the condition. That is why I ask.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Worst case the oil would have been aeriated(?)causing some extra wear.

Thanks. May do a UOA on the current run to find out.

With his health issues & a young family relying on it,
it's important to them to know to put money in other items on it or not.

How do you do the first oil change on an old truck that you just bought (I know it was your BIL), and neither of you never checked the oil?

I would expect this from my wife or a 16 year old punk, but not a grown man....

Originally Posted By: Phishin
How do you do the first oil change on an old truck that you just bought (I know it was your BIL), and neither of you never checked the oil?

I would expect this from my wife or a 16 year old punk, but not a grown man....

Geez! I've done every oil change on every vehicle I've owned + others for 44 years.

Of course the oil was checked before it was changed. It was overfilled!

Who said the oil wasn't checked??????

Where on earth did you get that???

He got that from your apparent surprise when the oil overfilled your drain pan. Either someone knew it was greatly overfilled at the time of purchase or not. Seems like an either or thing. Did it sound funny running? Does it leak? Honestly, if they have little resources what are their options at this point?

Was this one of the sludge-prone years? You have to be real careful buying certain Toyota V6's because (much more than other engines) they will fail from sludge if the previous owner neglected oil changes.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
He got that from your apparent surprise when the oil overfilled your drain pan. Either someone knew it was greatly overfilled at the time of purchase or not. Seems like an either or thing. Did it sound funny running? Does it leak? Honestly, if they have little resources what are their options at this point?

It didn't show too high on the dipstick, just above the upper level.
I could see just under 6 Quarts coming out, but not 7 Quarts.
It sounded ok when he pulled up into my garage.
The oil filter was leaking just a little as I mentioned.

The owner has lots of health problems as I mentioned, so I am not sure
if he checked it before purchase or not when he was in another State.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Was this one of the sludge-prone years? You have to be real careful buying certain Toyota V6's because (much more than other engines) they will fail from sludge if the previous owner neglected oil changes.

Different engine. The sludge prone ones are the front-driver 3.0 V6.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: mk378

Different engine. The sludge prone ones are the front-driver 3.0 V6.

It spreads like wild fire!

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
6 qrts puts me right at the full mark. Same engine as yours. Keep on truckin.

I have had 2 of those 3.4 motors......Still have the '00 4runner. Both take exactly 5 quarts.

The only issue overfilling at that level would cause, to my mind, is oil getting into the PCV, thus into the intake. But......Probably not, and I would not go looking for trouble. Better over than 3 quarts under.....

This is clearly a case of if it isn't leaking or making noise, I wouldn't be worrying about it...

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
and I would not go looking for trouble. Better over than 3 quarts under.....
Low isn't necessary bad..

My old F-150 was over four quarts low when I got it, three years later it runs fine, uses maybe a qt in 3K mi... No I never checked it, pulled stick with it running and saw area in pan was covered so it had at least enough to circulate(was a surprise though when what drained wasn't much more than enough to cover bottom of drain pan)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back