Canadian Tire Motormaster oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but it's not an oppressive amount. You'd have to buy a box of 12 single litres or a box of 4 (or is it 3) 5 litre jugs. So, it would be basically between 12 and 20 litres, which isn't exactly a ridiculous amount.

The Shell distributor's everyday price on Formula Shell, last time I checked, was about the same as Canadian Tire's sale price on their Motomaster stuff, if not a tiny bit cheaper. You can accomplish much the same at Imperial Oil for Mobil Super or at a Petro-Canada distributor for their stuff.

Heck, Shell's distributor and the Imperial Oil distributor here are in more convenient locations for me than Canadian Tire.
wink.gif

I just realized I had one 5 minutes from my work, so I may pay them a visit.

Hopefully they are reasonably priced.

I am still debating between the two as TGMO is my other option but I do not know whether their formula is the high moly one or a knockoff for canucks

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yes, but it's not an oppressive amount. You'd have to buy a box of 12 single litres or a box of 4 (or is it 3) 5 litre jugs. So, it would be basically between 12 and 20 litres, which isn't exactly a ridiculous amount.

The Shell distributor's everyday price on Formula Shell, last time I checked, was about the same as Canadian Tire's sale price on their Motomaster stuff, if not a tiny bit cheaper. You can accomplish much the same at Imperial Oil for Mobil Super or at a Petro-Canada distributor for their stuff.

Heck, Shell's distributor and the Imperial Oil distributor here are in more convenient locations for me than Canadian Tire.
wink.gif

Hi Garak, after talking to you, I've been looking at buying oil from the local distributor too. This is in Australia obviously, so I can't speak first hand about North America, but it seems much the same here as there.

The prices from the distributor, is so much better than the retail price, that even when the retail store offers a 40% off sale, the distributor still costs less at their regular price. The oil I'm looking at is the GTL Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 with MB229.5

OK, yes you do have to buy a bit more, but it's only 3 x 5L jugs. That's not a large amount for what is effectively a half price, name brand, full synthetic oil.

I have a mate that needs MB 229.5 oil for his two cars. So we will get 3 x 5L jugs, two for him and one for me. Job done.

Last edited:
It sounds like the retail oil market is much the same there is here. In the States, at least Walmart tries to offer competitive everyday pricing. Up here, they used to, but that disappeared at least ten years ago. Now, you have to wait for sales, and, just like your experience, they don't necessarily even beat the distributor price. Walmart Canada and Canadian Tire are the absolute last places to buy oil at regular price. The gas stations can be cheaper.

I couldn't remember if Shell was using boxes of 3 or 4 jugs. It's been a while since I bought in bulk from them. Imperial Oil and Wakefield usually do boxes of 4 jugs for Mobil and Castrol products, but there are exceptions.

The biggest problem isn't the oil, it's Canadian Tire's pricing. Even their cheapest house brand on special gets beaten by Walmart's best rollbacks on name brands, let alone the odd occasion that TuneIt/SuperTech goes down to $6 a gallon.

If I want Formula Shell oil, I'll get it straight from Shell. I don't need Canadian Tire's involvement whatsoever.

+1

Two weeks ago, Walmart had 4.73L jugs of VWB for $11.88.

On a side note, has anyone noticed Motomaster oil filters all went up in price? Yes, those overpriced red oil filters disguised as OCODs are now even more overpriced.

The only decent filter sales Canadian Tire ever has are the sales on Fram Ultras and M1 filters. Anything else on sale barely gets down to what they should be at normal retail price. My price on the Wix 51515 is $4.99. No one has ever been able to justify to me why I should spend more to get a filter from Canadian Tire.
wink.gif

I never buy anything at CDN Tire regularly priced.

I never buy oil regularly priced...anywhere.

The Motomaster synthetic oil goes on sale for 40-50% off about every quarter at CDN Tire, sometimes followed by PP and QSUD...almost always less than $30 for a 5L jug.

Our friends in the States don't have to wait on bended knee for Walmart sales, so I don't wait for them up here at Canadian Tire or Walmart Canada. Imperial Oil has gotten all my business for about the past three years or so, looking back at my records, with the last stuff bought elsewhere being a stash of Defy from Napa Canada.

Once my stash of VWB is gone that I got at walmart's anniversary sale for about $11/5L jug is gone I will probably go to my Petro Canada distributor as well as I want to try some other oils.

I've bought the synthetic ATF from them and it was cheaper than regular Castrol MV ATF from walmart. Going to the oil distributor is definitely a good option for the Canadians, but most have no idea about them.

Funny thing happened when I went to pick up the petro Canada ATF. I started chatting with one of the guys and he asked me how I found them. I said that they are listed on the Petro Canada Lubricants website. They were genuinely astonished that someone actually visited Petro Canada website lol.

I am in the east end of Toronto and there are no distributors here, so Can tire is by far the cheapest place for synthetic oil when it's on sale. I have never seen Walmart put their synthetic oil on sale and the regular price is around $40/jug.

It just make sense to patronize the nearest Canadian owned store.

The only decent filter sales Canadian Tire ever has are the sales on Fram Ultras and M1 filters. Anything else on sale barely gets down to what they should be at normal retail price. My price on the Wix 51515 is $4.99. No one has ever been able to justify to me why I should spend more to get a filter from Canadian Tire.
wink.gif

I drove to Minnesota for a short holiday last week and I picked up enough Carquest filters to last me to 100k for the Infiniti. $1.97 each for the Champion Labs-made filter. Even with the lousy exchange rate, $1.97 is still a good deal. These things are built like a tank, unlike the OCOD/RCOD.

I agree with Garak... No more good times with Rollback 4.73L jugs, all the Synthetic is expensive and you have to wait for sales.

Canadian Tire, you have to wait for Boxing Day / Week for sales that are stashworthy.

I'm a cooperate pilot so I fly to the states all the time. I always buy oil at Walmart. Crazy cheap. O'riley's sells ford oil filters for 4 bucks. We get ripped off in Canada.

I'm sure BITOGers would not be a good indication of how often the normal population checks lubricant websites, especially ones like Petro-Canada's, which really aren't based on a bunch of marketing points.
wink.gif
I bet a few dozen BITOGer IPs make up for the bulk of their hits!

WobblyElvis: I understand your point, and not everyone has a distributor nearby. I'm lucky to have Shell, Imperial Oil, Petro-Canada, Co-op, and Husky (Chevron) distributors all very close either to my residence or one of my places of business.

Walmart will have synthetics on sale; you just have to watch. When they do, it's usually a bit better rollback than Canadian Tire. Partsource is another reasonable place, since their sales tend to be longer than Canadian Tire's (a month versus a week). If you want a real deal on a synthetic, right now, until the end of the month, Napa Canada has Pennzoil Platinum on sale for $29.99 for a five litre jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back