Car Washes in the Rust belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, a lot of folks religiously wash their cars as often as they can during the winter to "wash off the salt". Dont most car washes retain and recycle their water? Would they just be paying for salt spray under the car? Or is the water filtered and they get rid of salt?

I don't think there is any cheap ways to remove salts or their ions from used water, it's cheaper to take fresh water instead.

I wonder this as well.

In Montreal, I think they just have the carwash hooked up to City water.

Once a month when I have free Esso points for a car wash in the Winter I go for it, for better or for worse.

So far, looks like it helps out. But I don't go for the under carriage spray, just the "quick wash".

Most car washes here don't use recycled water. Yes, they use a lot of water and are not considered to be as "green" as the ones that do recycle, but that is the norm here anyways.

I think Miller88 is doing about the best you can do.

Clean and wax the door jambs, under the door panels, spray into the hinges with some sort of lubricant. All your locks, trunk lid, hinges, shocks, literally under the hood. Then when you put your winter tires/rims on....maybe treat your suspension and steering, brake lines, hubs, etc, wheel wells, inner side of wheels.

Then after the salt is gone in spring. Use, I think cold water to flush alot of underneath the underbody.

This in addition to putting in an appropriate winter oil, checking (if necessary) the antifreeze ratio and put a piece of cardboard under your windshield wipers at night.

Good luck you Northerners. I hear dedicated snow/ice tires are well worth the price.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Not sure about there, but here in the land of fruits and nuts, all the water from a carwash must be filtered.

Did you mean they use recycled water and then filtered ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back