Odd- no pickups!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to truecar.com in the hope of pricing a 2015 or 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT or Big Horn, but they don't list any pickup trucks. Do I want the dually for a fifth wheel or am I just going to mow down stuff accidentally?

Are you looking them up under "Dodge" or "Ram?" All the trucks are now branded as "Ram" as of a few years ago and not listed under Dodge.

Also Truecar's prices are funny. I could beat all of their prices without using the employee discount.

By Jove, you're right. They are listed as Ram. I must have missed when that split up happened. I'm just looking for ballpark figures right now. Looking at a Ram crew cab with long bed, 4WD, Longhorn with the 5.7 liter V8 for a bit under 58 grand. However, I do want the 6.7 liter I6 Cummins Diesel engine, which is not listed.

I would not even consider a 5.7 for a 1 ton, absolutely not. That truck needs a Cummins.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
I would not even consider a 5.7 for a 1 ton, absolutely not. That truck needs a Cummins.

That's what I said I'm looking for.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
I went to truecar.com in the hope of pricing a 2015 or 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT or Big Horn, but they don't list any pickup trucks. Do I want the dually for a fifth wheel or am I just going to mow down stuff accidentally?

I tow a large camper with a 09 Dmax 2500, just 4 wheels. Been all over the country with it, works very well. The 5th wheel is the trick, drives super smooth.

If you haul a lot with the truck I can't see why you wouldn't want the diesel, but if it's occasional use the 6.4 is a fine choice with some short gearing...

True however everybody gets a different Truecar website
smile.gif

Go to a credit union and if you buy from them via THEIR Truecar link they will give you a so called great finance rate or this or that. I researched many of these Truecar websites and most CU's add several percentage to Truecar for all of those great free services
frown.gif

So use it as a starting point only and go to the Truecar website itself and not a link from a buying service or credit union-bank.......

I researched a car last year and the difference on $21K was $800 between the Truecar website and the Banks Truecar link- gotcha!!!!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Also Truecar's prices are funny. I could beat all of their prices without using the employee discount.

depends on the vehicle around here.

Some dealers wont deal AT ALL...

others will.

For example my local subaru dealer(sales) is horrible.. they basically want msrp and a deposit to test drive.

My not so local one did INVOICE(not msrp) -2% and werent stuckup dbags.

Last edited:
Even though I didn't really have a choice or a trade in for them to make money from, when I bought the focus the dealer was just knocking prices off. Dealers here in Syracuse (especially the higher income suburbs) will not deal at all. You're lucky to get anywhere near MSRP ... and by that, I mean you are lucky to get down to MSRP

Originally Posted By: Russ300
As I recall, the one ton trucks are all Cummins, no gas engine available.

I *think* (don't quote me on it) that the 6.4 gasoline v8 is available in one-ton trucks, its definitely an option in the 3/4 ton. It makes economic sense for those who only tow infrequently- lower up-front investment, lower operating cost when not actually towing, etc., without too huge a penalty in towing performance when needed. At least that's the argument for putting it in the 3/4 ton trucks and I see a fair number of those on the road.

I just checked, and the 5.7 is actually the standard engine even in the 1-ton and the 6.4 and Cummins 6.7 are options. I agree- its not enough unless you just need a 1-ton bed capacity without towing, and I bet that's a tiny market segment. I have never seen a 5.7-badged 1-ton, myself and I bet they hardly build any at all. The 6.4 with the right gearing can do most of what a Cummins can do... just not as economically if you're towing as much or more than you're driving un-loaded.

Last edited:
A 6.4 will probably use more fuel and may not last as long as the Cummins, but repairs ... are not going to be cheap on the Cummins.

I'd get the 5.7 or 6.4 myself. When I got towed a few weeks ago, the tow truck driver got the gas engine in his tow truck. Reason? When the gas engine wears out, he can throw in a completely new one for less than the cost of a set of injectors and any repair on the diesel engine.

5.4 2V is pretty underpowered for a 1 ton truck. But it gets the job done.

People need to be reminded that the Cummins is HUGELY more expensive. Something like 8k or so.

Not that it's not worth it, but that's a lot of fuel...

Absolutely! I'll take going 5MPH slower on the hill and getting a bit less fuel economy for a simpler and cheaper to repair engine.

Now, if it was only $2K or so for a 12V with mechanical injection and no emissions junk ... there wouldn't be a choice to be made!

Really if you are towing under 10,000 you don't need a Diesel. If you want one go ahead and do it. I have been towing with a gasser for over 10 years no issues. I tow on average 3000 to 4000 miles a year. Would a like a Diesel? Sure. Do I need one? Nope.

Mostly I'd like to know from what weight up I should go with a dually. The gasser or Diesel choice is not up for discussion on my part.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Mostly I'd like to know from what weight up I should go with a dually. The gasser or Diesel choice is not up for discussion on my part.

When the payload no longer supports your pin weight + passengers + cargo in the truck. That's about the only hard and fast rule. We hang 9.5k of camper off the bumper of our F150 (Max Tow) and it tows fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back