Valvoline Synpower 0w20 in the 15 malibu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went up 2 AAP to get some oil for my gmas car for an oil change. Decide on getting Quaker State full synthetic for her 97 lesabre and a pureone oil filter for like $23. While I was there I looked around for oil for my car. They had a special on the Valvoline synpower and a Fram XG filter. So i picked up some 0w20 and a fram xg for $32. wouldn't u say this oil is would go a full oil change on this oil?

ANY dexos oil will go the full OCI as recommended by your OLM. Whether it's Synpower, QSUD, or even a syn blend like Pennzoil Gold.

FWIW, Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower, and it's on sale for $3.49/qt. That, along with a Napa Gold, would be a good value.

Valvoline SynPower is a high quality full synthetic oil.

Last time I looked at the SynPower Spec sheet, the 5W-20 was Dexos, but the 0W-20 was not. My valvoline spec sheet is a few years old, so maybe this has changed. Let me check…….

According to the GM dexos website, it is now approved.
http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand1/

So it should be fine to go the full OCI

I think only the turbo gdi engines have any real issues with gas dilution and that seems to be hit or miss really.

Nobody really knows is the best I can gather with noack vs intake valve deposits.

Last edited:
We use Valvoline on all our cars at work and i see no problems with it. I like it. Ive never tryed the synpower in any of our cars only maxlife which i really like.

Valvoline SynPower is up in price and I like it but its no longer competitive currently. Of course I noticed Amazon ran their filters up too. I got a gallon Delvac for $12 a month ago and now its $23.

Amazon really plays with the pricing.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You shoulda' got 5W-30.
cap says 5w20. The manual says i can use 0w20 as an alternative. But the manual does say 2 use 0w30 where temperature drops below -20°F. Which here in KC we rarely get to -5°F.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Valvoline SynPower is up in price and I like it but its no longer competitive currently. Of course I noticed Amazon ran their filters up too. I got a gallon Delvac for $12 a month ago and now its $23.

Amazon really plays with the pricing.

No Napa nearby? Because their synthetic is only $3.49, which is a fair price for Synpower

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

No Napa nearby? Because their synthetic is only $3.49, which is a fair price for Synpower

Similar but not the same. Synpower has better base stocks.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Similar but not the same. Synpower has better base stocks.

+1

I'm bad, lol. I was at Walmart yesterday and saw PP 0w20 for like $23 and picked me up a jug and returned to Valvoline. Can't wait to get my car back from the body shop and change the oil.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
I use 5w30 in my Malibu 13 2LT 2.5ecotec just a piece of mind no worries about oil burning or shearing During my OCI
I'd use a 30 weight im just nervous about if a warranty claim up and I was using 30 weight in a 20 spec car.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
I use 5w30 in my Malibu 13 2LT 2.5ecotec just a piece of mind no worries about oil burning or shearing During my OCI
I'd use a 30 weight im just nervous about if a warranty claim up and I was using 30 weight in a 20 spec car.

Using a different weight oil, especially if it still meets the same certification (Dexos 1), will not automatically void your warranty.

I would probably do the same thing myself, run a Dexos 5W30, and sleep well at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back