Dealership dropped the ball AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dealership work is only as good as it needs to be to get by. If you complain they'll just tell you what they think you want to hear. Oil changes are a waste of their time unless they can up sell you in the process. If their work represents only what you really need and extends the life of your car they take 2 hits. One, they loose immediate work and two, why would they want your car to be trouble free and last longer. The sales department wants no part of that kind of service. They're in business to make money. The fact that it's cars or diet pills makes no difference to them.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Rust_Belt_Pete

I am not even sure what to do, pretty darn [censored] off about what they pulled here.

You think that writing a letter to the general manager of the dealership is worth the effort

What is it your looking for from them by writing the letters?
No one is getting reprimanded or fired so unless you have some sort of specific request your letter will just find its way into file 13
Ask for a free oil change. lol

I'd ask for a new oil drain plug for sure, maybe even a new pan if they jacked that up as well

I could write the book about the insane things dealerships have done and pulled on me.

And yet you still continue to use them to service your vehicles? If the issues are so plentiful you could write a book and you can't do your own oil changes, why didn't you find a good, independent shop years ago?

The OP's scenario is a good example of when that Castrol system becomes more attractive.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I could write the book about the insane things dealerships have done and pulled on me.

And yet you still continue to use them to service your vehicles? If the issues are so plentiful you could write a book and you can't do your own oil changes, why didn't you find a good, independent shop years ago?

I did, the owner sold out and now it is Mr Tire or something like that.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
100% your fault for not doing it yourself.

By this logic, if you get killed in a car because of a manufacturing defect, it's your own fault for not building the car yourself. If your house burns down because of a wiring fault in the wall, it's your own fault for not building the house yourself.

Not everyone is mechanically skilled with lots of tools, time and a place to work on their cars (and not everyone who frequents car forums is a gearhead who can work on their own car). What about those of us who live in apartments, non-mechanical types like widows, the elderly and disabled... working parents who just don't have time? I fit into several of those categories. I have to rely on mechanics to service my car, and I don't like it one bit.

When money changes hands in a business transaction, the customer has a right to expect the job will be done correctly. If businesses are not held accountable for their actions - I'm talking any business, not just dealerships and mechanics - then there's no protection for people who have no option but to use those businesses.

/rant

Exact same thing happened to me at New Orleans Audi with our A4. Had 3 warranty items, they failed on two of those. So, they did not drain the oil, put new oil in, and a couple miles from the dealership the smoke started. Took it back before they closed. Had to go back early the next morning with my dipstick to show them the problem.

The sevice manager was the worst part. Never apologized. Said he wouldn't do anything because it was one of his best techs. I asked why the tech didn't follow the procedure and check the oil level after the change. He said he did. I responded that either one of you are lying or your best tech is incapable of reading a dip stick. I then had to argue with them when I told them I wasn't paying for the oil change. And the worst part is they never actually "changed" the oil. They just sucked out enough to get the level down. I ended up doing the change the next day. I had been on a 5k OCI, letting the dealership do every other for "warranty" purposes. I've about come to the conclusion that for most cars worrying about warranty issues around DIY isn't worth the problems the dealers cause.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilSwine
Exact same thing happened to me at New Orleans Audi with our A4. Had 3 warranty items, they failed on two of those. So, they did not drain the oil, put new oil in, and a couple miles from the dealership the smoke started. Took it back before they closed. Had to go back early the next morning with my dipstick to show them the problem.

The sevice manager was the worst part. Never apologized. Said he wouldn't do anything because it was one of his best techs. I asked why the tech didn't follow the procedure and check the oil level after the change. He said he did. I responded that either one of you are lying or your best tech is incapable of reading a dip stick. I then had to argue with them when I told them I wasn't paying for the oil change. And the worst part is they never actually "changed" the oil. They just sucked out enough to get the level down. I ended up doing the change the next day. I had been on a 5k OCI, letting the dealership do every other for "warranty" purposes. I've about come to the conclusion that for most cars worrying about warranty issues around DIY isn't worth the problems the dealers cause.

I hope you called Audi of America and opened a case on this fiasco. The premium brands are very good about making the dealer perform. I would have demanded nothing less than a full refund for the oil change and monetary compensation for the trouble and the possibility of damage they might have resulted from the over fill. You MUST let the parent company know, and heck I would have politely demanded to speak to the dealership GM and owner about this.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
100% your fault for not doing it yourself.

Most car shops have zero pride in doing a quality job.

Condescend much?

I can mount and dismount my own tires but I still need a proper balancer.

Try Dynabeads...they are GREAT.

OP, sorry about the bad experience. This is one of the reasons I avoid letting other people work on my vehicles. Too many techs out there that don't give a [censored] about the quality of their work, too many shops that are trying to get cars in and out as fast as possible.

IMO, dealerships are generally the worst. You think they care if their negligence causes your car to break down/wear out years earlier than it should? As long as you don't notice, it benefits them since you'll have to buy another car earlier and maybe you'll buy another one from them.

There are some great shops out there and some excellent techs, but you almost have to know someone who knows someone, etc. I'm lucky, my brother is a tech and I've had friends over the years who worked at indy shops, so most of the stuff I can't do myself at least I can watch and shoot the bull with the guy wrenching on my truck, and 40 bucks under the table or a case of beer is all the payment owed.

I know wrenching on your own isn't for everyone, but if not, finding a trustworthy shop is critical. And I'm sorry if I offend someone here, but you don't need factory training to do an oil change. You just need to give a [censored]. You know, take pride in your work and do right by your customers. Funny that most people seem more concerned with finding a good barber/hairdresser than a good mechanic. [censored], you get to watch the whole time your hair is getting cut and if they screw up you're the first to know.

/rant over

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

My buddy sold me on sand. Yep. Sand. Cheaper than dyna beads and the truck runs down the highway as smooth as silk

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
There was some harm done. Hard to quantify exactly. Anytime you're dumping oil out the exhaust, hitting catalysts, etc., something is happening.
Also, overfilling (and how, right?!) means lots of oil aeration foaming happened, starving bearings of lubrication.

How to put a dollar figure on this? You could try small claims court to get a couple of thousand bucks. Ask Mazda to compensate you, and maybe they will pester the dealership for some $$$.

People who just say "Oh Well, Whatever" to this thing means it just keeps happening, no incentive for them to train people or check work in the future.

The court probably wont award squat unless it is proven they did damage that cost $$ to repair.
I doubt they will make a judgment on what may have happened or might happen in the future, chance are good there is nothing damaged.
I think making Mazda aware of what happened and documented and giving the oil change coupon to his boss as a Christmas present is probably the best thing to do.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I think making Mazda aware of what happened and documented and giving the oil change coupon to his boss as a Christmas present is probably the best thing to do.

Yea, that's the best thing to do. Keep taking it up the rear.

LOL!

It sounds like he should give the oil change coupon to a person he doesn't like!
banana2.gif

You wouldn't want your boss having a similar experience!

If you had the dealer "fix it", they would put the same idiot that screwed it up in the first place on the repair and no telling what fubar you would see next.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

When you have used them do you add during mounting or add through the air valve?

Hmm I put new tire on on my motorcycle by myself using tire irons and my bench vice , never balanced, I wonder if I should break the bead with the vice and add a tablespoon of these...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back