Any Issue with Seals & Redline Oil -Winter Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually put my summer car away for winter this time of the year. I was wondering if there are any issues with Redline Oil left in an engine year long, mainly regarding seals ?. I once read that Group 4 & 5 base oils can be hard on seals , but manufacturers use additives to make them more compatible with seals.

I often dump the summer use oil and put in fresh oil for winter storage right about now. Last spring I changed to Redline oil for extra protection on a trip to the Dragon (Deal's Gap). I think it worked well as the wear levels on my UOA were about as good as a typical daily driven UOA , despite lots of high rpm and high-G forces driving on the Dragon trip. In spring 2016 I may be going back to the Dragon, so I've been considering running Redline oil in the engine and leaving it over winter. Any opinions about Group 5 oils and seals during long term use ?. Thanks for reading and any opinions.

We use Red Line oil in the engine driven stuff at our hobby gold mine. We don't work the mine in the winter when it's cold and snows and the engines have never shown seal problems after an off season. These engines get worked really hard or not at all.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
We use Red Line oil in the engine driven stuff at our hobby gold mine. We don't work the mine in the winter when it's cold and snows and the engines have never shown seal problems after an off season. These engines get worked really hard or not at all.

Thanks for the reply. That is good info, and that certainly would be a good test. Good to hear on your experience with the oil.

Just relaying my thoughts, but perhaps it depends on what the seals are made of??

I used RL in my Echo for 'years' and probably close to 150K miles; no issue with my seals AFAIK, but I wonder if a 60s muscle car might have seals made from something else.... IDK.

If your seals can make it through Red Line, they can make it through anything.

PS. - Can we all take a vote and decide on whether Red Line is two words or one word ?

Yeah like the fans of Mobil for over 40 years and they spell it Mobile.........

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

PS. - Can we all take a vote and decide on whether Red Line is two words or one word ?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Just relaying my thoughts, but perhaps it depends on what the seals are made of??

I used RL in my Echo for 'years' and probably close to 150K miles; no issue with my seals AFAIK, but I wonder if a 60s muscle car might have seals made from something else.... IDK.

I guess it might matter on the age of the vehicle, so yeah the car I am talking about would be a 2002 model year. Thanks for the reply and good point on vehicle age.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Good point, Red Line is two words, I learn something new every day
smile.gif

Can't say if it is directly applicable but I have had Red Line in my Nissan continuously for over 20 years and no leaks anywhere. I only change it these days on an annual basis just before cold weather.

^ thanks for the added replies and testamonials. I think this will firm up my decision to run Redline year round in the motor. I've had good luck with it in respect to engine wear, and it is the only oil that did not shear in this engine. As long as it is good with seals then I'm on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back