Interesting dealership experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the local Toyota dealership with a work friend and his wife. Looked at a couple of 2012 Rav4 with AWD. Picked one he liked and the dealer was asking around $21k with TTL included.

My friend and the sales guy negotiated and the best price the dealer would give was $20175. My friend said make it $20k even and I will buy it right now. Even had his check book with him. Dealer wouldn't budge and we walked away empty handed. Couldn't believe it that the dealer would not sell the car over $175.

I know what I want to pay and that is it. It is my money I am leaving with! I am so impressed.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Couldn't believe it that your friend would not buy the car over $175.

^^^DING DING. Kriste almighty!, talk about cheap....

Last edited:
Good for him.

U know what it is worth to you and your max price.

It's go or no go.

Maybe the dude didn't have another $175.

I've never bought a new car for myself, however, I do go in for my friends and I'm quite the [censored]. They get so po'ed when you look right at them and say "I'm the one you have to deal with, he's the one that signs the papers"

It would seem if he wanted the car-what is $175.00 amortized over the life of a car loan?

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Couldn't believe it that your friend would not buy the car over $175.

Yep I told him that too. I won't say where he is from but his culture you always bargain down the price quite a bit.

It's the art of the deal. Not every deal needs to be completed to have been successful. The dealer gets more practice than the average person off the street but the guy off the street has the checkbook.

Originally Posted By: cat843
You can get a new Forester for a couple of thousand more. I would head that direction vs a 4 year old vehicle.

this is the correct answer.

You can get a new Forester for a couple of thousand more. I would head that direction vs a 4 year old vehicle.

But then you will end up with an unreliable Subaru.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Was at the local Toyota dealership with a work friend and his wife. Looked at a couple of 2012 Rav4 with AWD. Picked one he liked and the dealer was asking around $21k with TTL included.

My friend and the sales guy negotiated and the best price the dealer would give was $20175. My friend said make it $20k even and I will buy it right now. Even had his check book with him. Dealer wouldn't budge and we walked away empty handed. Couldn't believe it that the dealer would not sell the car over $175.

Presumably the dealer thinks that somebody else will pay more.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

But then you will end up with an unreliable Subaru.

Trolllolololing or serious?

It is the 12th of the month, we're not quite halfway through the month. The dealer might have just gotten the car in and feels its worth more. Also dealers price more aggressively toward the end of the month. They also hold out for more on cars that are in great shape with low miles. Like OneEyeJack said, "it's the art of the deal."

You could head in the other direction and get a 2010-2012 Mercedes GLK350 for about the same price.

Originally Posted By: CKN
It would seem if he wanted the car-what is $175.00 amortized over the life of a car loan?

What if he's paying cash? Then there's no amortization. The tip above is accurate, wait til a day or two before the end of the month and offer $1000 less, then you'll see how low they'll really go.

I can't believe they would pay that much money for that old of a RAV4.

But that sounds like my CarMax experience. Surprising but it seems thats the way that some of the industry at least is moving. The no haggle experience, where you must "trust" that the deals are "good" and the cars are "great"... and the prices are good values (which they overwhelmingly are not).

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Seems like a lot of money for a 4 year old car, they did him a favor.

I agree that is outrageous for a three year old vehicle when you could probably get a new one for just a bit more and IT'S NEW with a full new car warranty!

Regarding the refusal of the deal over 175 bucks...My Dad had a similar experience over his attempt to buy a 2011 Ford Fusion.
He had also bought his previous vehicle 2006 Ford 500 top of the line at this store, he also had most all of his service work done at this dealer as well, everything from new tires to brakes ect...
They were 250$ apart and the sales manager would not budge, even when my Dad and the salesman explained the past history there.
Well the SM said NO and my Dad walked out the door, with his check book, and went to the Subaru store and bought a new 2011 Outback.
Which was a great buying experience, and they have a very good and reasonably priced service department as well.

Dad drove his new Subaru back to the Ford store and drove past the SM who was out walking the lot, and said I hope the loss of the sale was worth it, smiled and drove off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back