Complete System Cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen many products for complete fuel system cleaners however I'm pretty sure most of them are a waste of money. I am asking for individuals thoughts on Berryman,Gumout,Seafoam & STP products. I've seen alot of information on these but no actual proof they work. If there is any others I missed please let me know & how good these products work. I'm under the understanding that most modern day fuels already have the additives to clean your engine & fuel syztem.

You need PEA.

Gumout has it, is as good as any others that do, and is the best bang for the buck.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I just use top tier fuel, additives just clean your wallet out - IMO.

Wow. Now, I've read it all. A post suggesting TT fuel is the only effective way to clean a fuel system.

Last edited:
I've been watching some videos from youtube from a guy called chrisfix. I personally don't know how relevant his tests are without seeing the entire engine being tested. I think just seeing the cylinder heads with a camera doesn't show enough results. I do however see he states each product's claim & it clearly shows some products that work, whereas some don't hold much truth to their claims. I do see some other useful tips in his videos that can help any DIY project.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Wow. Now, I've read it all. A post suggesting TT fuel is the only effective way to clean a fuel system.

Why waste money buying additives when you can just buy quality fuel and lubricants? GM puts this in their manuals -

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Why waste money buying additives when you can just buy quality fuel and lubricants? GM puts this in their manuals -

So even the manual suggests to use a cleaner if TT gas isn't used.
I have mostly "discount" type gas stations close by such as Hess, Delta Sonic so I buy gas there vs spending $.20 to $.35/gal more at the closest TT. Good gas but MAYBE not the additives TT gas has.
Spending $5 on a bottle of Techron twice a year is a better option for me.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Fuel additives and oil additives are designed to separate you from your money.

Most are, but there are a few which are the real deal.

Products with high concentrations of PEA (developed by Chevron) and called Techron, is a SAE proven gasoline additive detergent, which not only cleans much better than all other detergents, it doesn't leave behind its own reside something that other detergents can actually do like carbon does.

Top Tier Gas has much more additives than minimum required by EPA. If you use non-top tier gas then you should use fuel additives once in a while.

I use 1 bottle Techron every other year before smog check. So far I didn't have problem with emission, my cars passed smog check every time.

Few dollars per car every 2 years isn't much to keep me awake all night.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Top Tier Gas has much more additives than minimum required by EPA. If you use non-top tier gas then you should use fuel additives once in a while.

I use 1 bottle Techron every other year before smog check. So far I didn't have problem with emission, my cars passed smog check every time.

Few dollars per car every 2 years isn't much to keep me awake all night.

Aren't emission checks simply done by the OBD-II? As long as the check engine light isn't on you're OK.

I cannot see one bottle every 2 years making a difference in anything.

More on TopTier:

Should you buy Top Tier gas?
By Tara Baukus Mello • Bankrate.com
Dear Driving for Dollars,
The owner's manual of my new car recommends Top Tier gasoline, and the dealer I bought the car from told me that all the stations in my town are Top Tier. How do I know if he's right and does it really matter if I use Top Tier gas?
-- Terry
Dear Terry,
Many gasoline distributors meet the Top Tier standard, including Chevron, QuikTrip and 76. Don't be confused with the term "Top Tier." It doesn't refer to the octane level. Rather, it's a standard for the amount of detergent in the gasoline.
The Top Tier gasoline standard was created in 2004 by several automakers -- BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen -- after the Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, reduced the minimum detergent requirements. The automakers believe engine performance could be compromised if a lower-tier gasoline is used. They believe normal driving will put more wear and tear on the engine, effectively reducing its life span.
If your vehicle owner's manual recommends using Top Tier, this means that the manufacturer has done some research and has concluded that the higher level of detergent is better for your engine over the long term. It's not required, but you may want to consider following the manufacturer's recommendations. A list of Top Tier gas retailers can be found here, so it's possible that every gas station in your town is Top Tier.
If you have a car question, e-mail it to us at Driving for Dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back