Mobil 0W40 vs Castrol 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I know I'm about to open a can of worms here, but which oil do you prefer to run & why ? Both oils carry the same certifications it seems, the Castrol being a thinner 40 weight than the Mobil it seems. The Mobil looks to have more Boron & Moly, the Castrol more Mag. I'm thinking the slightly thinner Castrol will deliver better fuel economy (on a very small scale I'm sure). Just wondering which would be better for a DI Turbo gas engine, or am I splitting hairs trying to choose between these two ?

The best of these 2 oils is the ............cheapest. They are both excellent products and it's very difficult to infer much by looking at details that were determined in the blending process.

I have both. They are about the same as far as protection goes for Euro cars. I bought them when they were on sale and/or with rebate.

I am going to assume the OP is speaking of Castrol Edge Titanium and Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula.

If yes, Mobil 1 0W-40 is less expensive than Castrol Edge so go with Mobil 1.

I like the 0w40.
grin.gif

I prefer the Castrol from a noise and smoothness point of view.

But I'll be putting in the M1 next to get a second chance to compare them.

The M1 I am comparing to is the SN version presumably using GRPIII. The latest bottles apparently are GRPIV based.

This is not going to open a can of worms because both are excellent oils.

I get whichever one is cheaper at Autozone. They usually have a sale on either of them whenever I need an oil change (my stash is only 10 quarts at any given time).

And of course don't forget the excellent Pennzoil Platinum Euro range.

They have a 5w30, 5w40 and a 0w40.

I was looking at the Pennzoil Platinum 5w40 Euro, it has a TON of builder certifications & seems to be a good oil just looking at the specs, just too early to tell how it will hold up against 2 proven oils like Mobil & Castrol 0w40.

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
I was looking at the Pennzoil Platinum 5w40 Euro, it has a TON of builder certifications & seems to be a good oil just looking at the specs, just too early to tell how it will hold up against 2 proven oils like Mobil & Castrol 0w40.

This Pennzoil oil has been around a while now, previously under the Ultra name. It holds up just fine. All three are great oils.

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
or am I splitting hairs trying to choose between these two ?

You are. Pick what is cheaper and/or easier to find.

I'd go with Mobil 1 right now as they still have a $12 rebate on a 5 quart jug til Oct 31st. Castrol had a $5 rebate a long while ago. Pepboys will probably have some discount on Castrol on Black Friday. I think last year it was something like $20 with a free oil filter. I managed to get a cartridge filter that was normally around $10 so it wasn't too bad of a deal.

I was reviewing specs on the Mobil 1 vs. Castrol last week and found 2 different 100c visc for the Castrol (13.5 and 13.1). Mobil 1 references 13.5. If they vary a little in the blending process they could swing a little either way.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
13.5 cSt is the current value, AFAIK.

I was thinking it was closer to 12.8 cSt.

On a side note, what do you guys think about Pennzoils GTL base stock ? Some say it's the "Top Tier" when talking about a GRIII base stock. I've also inquired about the percentage of PAO that's added to the GTL to make up their PP & PUP base stocks.

Both great oils, you cannot go wrong.
That being said, I give slight preference to Castrol 0W40 because of smoothness and better cold start.
However, if I did not have access to Castrol 0W40, I would go with M1 as next oil in line. Used both, no issues, but like I said, small advantage to Castrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back