Purolator Synthetic, 6500 miles/22 mnths, Jeep 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should just quit cutting wire backed synth media filters, I have yet to find one that's not perfect regardless of brand. Longest calendar run I've made so far, and the Puro is a little easier than a Royal Purple... But no openings or major irregularities to be found.

Date code:

Media:

Bet it could have gone another 22 months...

Unless defective or abused beyond their capacity, the wire backed synthetic filters from Fram/Purolator/Amsoil/RP/Wix/etc. are all probably going to come out looking just fine.

Nice filter. If I decided it right it's manufactured in January 28, 2014 Line "F" and 1st shift

Thank you for the C&P sir

34.gif
11.gif

Yeah save a manufacturing defect there just isn't a lot to go wrong with a wire backed synthetic filter.

Originally Posted By: car51
Nice filter. If I decided it right it's manufactured in January 28, 2014 Line "F" and 1st shift

Thank you for the C&P sir

34.gif
11.gif

Jan/14-Jan/15 = 12 months

Jan/15-Oct/15 = nine months

So maybe the filter makers are getting with the car makers act of making this year's car next year's model. Ive seen magazines do this too. iIRC, like near the end of May I would get July's issue in the mail. Seems time travel may not just be in Back to the Future.

Originally Posted By: car51
449magnum: is that a "D" after F01? Thanks in advance and if so its made in 2012

Yes, "D." 2012 would be about right- my log says it was installed on the Jeep in Jan 2014... so the Jan 2014 manufacturing date is theoretically possible, but I can't imagine it would have made it from the factory to me installing it in a month. Especially since I tend to install the one on the shelf and replace it, rather than buy at the time I do the oil change.

I didn't realize the photo of the rough PSL surface was going to be so glittery until I saw it on the big screen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Based on what?

Based on the fact that the only thing in this type of filter that would really deteriorate with time is the gasket and ADBV. Both are silicone, so they'd probably last 10 years if you didn't load the filter with contaminants.

Based on what?

What's going to wear out? The filter is rated up to 12k miles and full synthetic filters are very conservatively rated from what I have seen. If the engine had a bunch of sludge, it would have shown up in the filter already, but there isn't any. The ADBV is silicone so it would hold up fine. Gasket, when is the last time you've seen a properly installed oil filter fail at the gasket? So if the OP did 6500 miles in the first 22 months then I would expect that he could change the oil and go another 6500 miles on that filter and it would still look great when cut open.

Cannot say that I am thrilled about the way the seam looks--especially on the bypass valve end and in a way it looks like the one I pulled from my PSD, but otherwise it looks OK.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Cannot say that I am thrilled about the way the seam looks--especially on the bypass valve end and in a way it looks like the one I pulled from my PSD, but otherwise it looks OK.

agreed that seam looks like popo

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

The "neat freak" in me definitely thinks this filter isn't as pretty as a Royal Purple when cut open, but its perfectly functional.

Based on what?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Based on the fact that the only thing in this type of filter that would really deteriorate with time is the gasket and ADBV. Both are silicone, so they'd probably last 10 years if you didn't load the filter with contaminants.

What's going to wear out? The filter is rated up to 12k miles and full synthetic filters are very conservatively rated from what I have seen. If the engine had a bunch of sludge, it would have shown up in the filter already, but there isn't any. The ADBV is silicone so it would hold up fine. Gasket, when is the last time you've seen a properly installed oil filter fail at the gasket? So if the OP did 6500 miles in the first 22 months then I would expect that he could change the oil and go another 6500 miles on that filter and it would still look great when cut open.

You guys seem focused on construction and durability of its materials. Obviously anything silicone would be fine, and the synthetic filtering material would be fine. That's not my issue.

But we're all looking at the same pics here, or specifically the same one pic of the filter media. Yup, it's a dirty oil filter. And unless someone pulls it apart and inspects the media closely, there's no way to tell how that filter is doing, and even then, that's not very scientific. In these cut-open threads when dirty filters are posted that are not physically bad (like torn Puro pleats or squished Fram carboard ends), there are always comments like 'You could have used it longer', and/or 'It would have gone another OCI'. A filter on a clean engine could be filled with small particles meaning it's at the end of its useable life, but since it wouldn't look like it was packed with crud, people here would still post 'It still looks good!'.

Looking at that one pic, you can come to a few logical conclusions: 1) the filter media held up fine, 2) the seam is still ugly but apparently did not fail, and 3) 440's engine seems to be relatively clean inside judging from the lack of crumbs anywhere. That said, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that the filter has plenty of life left without taking a much closer look at what's inside the media which is not something you can do by just looking at a picture.

So what criteria is everyone using here? A pliable ADBV, no rips, and not overflowing with gunk means it's still good to go? That seems like an awfully low mark to hit. I just don't understand where the comments come from.

So what criteria is everyone using here? A pliable ADBV, no rips, and not overflowing with gunk means it's still good to go? That seems like an awfully low mark to hit. I just don't understand where the comments come from.

Good points, nothing scientific has been stated (or really claimed) here.

I took "you could have gone another 22 months" literally. If this filter had only gone the same 6500 miles over the course of 44 months instead of 22, I am sure it would have looked exactly the same. Although an engine driven that sort of cycle might have other issues develop like more water contamination, but even then if it were simply infrequent trips but always brought to operating temperature I doubt it would be an issue. Dirt accumulation, not calendar time, is the limiting factor with synthetic media filters. In contrast, some blended media and conventional media filters seem to deteriorate (media gets a little brittle, crumbly, mushy) with calendar time passing regardless of mileage.

How about that the filter is rated to 12k miles...and has no expiration date.

But since you've decided to nit pick here, I will break it down for you and give you a precise answer. The OP went 6500 miles in 22 months. That is 295.5 miles per month. If the filter is rated to 12k miles (as stated there is plenty of evidence that this is a conservative rating) then the filter should be good for another 5500 miles. Given the ratio of miles per month, we get 18.6 months.

So to appease you, I stand corrected. The filter could easily go another 18 months and 18 days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back