Used cars and low fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping it's just bad luck, but do car dealers purposely keep used cars low on fuel? When I bought my Traverse, it had maybe 1/8 of a tank. The dealer filled the tank while I was signing all the papers for it though. This weekend, I was helping my girlfriend pick something to replace her old car, and found a gently used 2013 Equinox. When we took it for a test drive it was on the E mark and the light was on. She ended up buying it, but the first place she had to go was the gas station, although the dealer promised to reimburse her if she brought the receipt Monday. Strange, because I noticed the dealer's oil change sticker in the windshield, and confirmed that the oil life was at 99%. They had time to do an oil change, but not fill the gas tank? It must not have had a test drive since it was changed, since the mileage on the sticker was what we started the test drive with.

In my experience they all do this. They only keep enough fuel in them for the test drive.

Think of all the hands that drive the things five miles or less between trade-in, during auction, intra-dealer trades, etc. None have a vested interest in spending money on fuel.

It starts with the guy who trades it in on empty.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
If the vehicle gets stolen...there not getting far.

Right track, but it's mostly so gas thieves don't have a smorgasbord of vehicles to steal fuel from.

When i bought the malibu it had under a 1/4 tank in it with 15 miles on it. After i signed all the paper work the sales person took me over 1/2 a block 2 QT and filled it up for me. But my dad test drove a traverse also with the gas light on and the oil % at 99%. Must just b a dealer thing.

Interesting... I had wondered if it was to deter theft. Oh well, she got a nice ride with low miles, and since we ended up keeping the finance guy around after closing time we aren't complaining much. I was just crossing my fingers we wouldn't run out of gas during the test drive!

They aren't going to pay an hourly employee to run a car to the gas station to fill up...

Especially when they might end up sending it to the auction or trading it to another dealer.

Besides they would prefer to have the money in their account than in a bunch of gas tanks on the lot.

now that you mention it, when i went with my brother to test drive the 2016 mustang he ended up buying, it was barely above E, with 2mi on the odometer.
They did Fill it up as part of the delivery prep after he negotiated, signed, and paid for the car. not sure if they used an onsite pump, or the Race Trac just off their lot...

Some dealers don't even keep enough fuel in the tank for a decent test drive. My last purchase required an immediate fill up. There has been too much fuel theft in recent years. It was so bad at one point that tanks were being drilled out for the fuel.

My Silverado was on E when I bought it, but that was my own [censored] fault... I was the one who had driven it all day before buying it.

Paid $2.69 a gallon for the first fill up, and that was an outrageous price for gas (in 2006).

The Chevy dealer in Frankfort, IL filled up the Subaru that we bought there used.

Last edited:
Most people just trade them in with barely any fuel, so with used cars it all starts with that. Like others have said, there's no point in gassing up a ton of cars when they might just go to auction, traded off again to another dealer, etc etc. Most dealers will fill the tank when you buy a car though.

Makes good sense financially.

If a largish dealer has 100 cars in the forecourt that is a lot of money tied up in something that goes off with age.

Yep, they'll fill new here, but usually not used And, there's no financial justification in them keeping every used car with a tankful of fuel. I'd prefer they did not, to be honest, if I were buying.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
They aren't going to pay an hourly employee to run a car to the gas station to fill up...

Especially when they might end up sending it to the auction or trading it to another dealer.

Besides they would prefer to have the money in their account than in a bunch of gas tanks on the lot.

This!

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: dishdude

This!

Exactly.
Take a large dealer with several hundred cars on the lot.
That could amount to tens of thousands of dollars easily.
Much more economical to put a few gallons in for a test drive, then fill when sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back