OCI really soon and I need my car on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a OCI set at 7K miles, I will be at 7k in 300 miles. I have redline 0w20 in my 2014 Mirage, its recommended normal service life is 7.5K, I will be doing at least 400 miles of highway +200-300 in city/highway mix as a taxi in the next two days. This will put me past my OCI, should I just slap some M1 EP/M1-110 for now or should I wait for my sustina 0w20 to come in? I am ordering the sustina on thursday and the cheapest place I have found is... http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/eneos-su...sg#.VhsDucu6cok

everyone else seems to be out of stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
You'd still be under 7.5k with a high quality oil...you should find other things to worry about.

+1

Why even bother with $10+/quart oil when you're only doing a 7000 mile OCI? Just get some M1 or PP and a Fram Ultra from Walmart for less than half the price, and at 7000 miles you will still be dumping oil and filter that have lots of life left in them.

A mirage with redline?

Seriously, walmart is packed to the gills with cheaper options that will do just the same.

I'd save that sustina money for something like food or gas. Better spent.

Last edited:
Why not order the Sustina now instead of waiting until Thursday? Either way, you should be just fine.

I am more intrigued by Mirage being used as a taxi.
smile.gif

You can wait to change it. As others have said, Walmart has a plethora of high quality synthetics that will do the same job, and at a much better price.

For a 7k OCI, get some Napa Synthetic for only $3.49/qt, or if you're lucky to find a coupon, $2.99. It's rebranded Synpower
smile.gif

If you're near an AAP or Carquest, they have QSUD and a CQ red filter for only $20

Find excellent oil for your Mirage at Walmart. Your "overkill" with the oil your ordering. Its not going to do a better job than excellent oil on the shelf at Walmart. Especially for 7K oil changes. Do a UOA at 7K.

thanks guys. I'm going to run it to 8K even though OCI is 7.5, I don't want to order sustina until I am sure I have the cheapest I can buy, plus I rather it come out of next payday. About to double check the level when I fuel up.

For my Mirage it only uses 3 qts of oil so with sustina at 15.80 shipped plus my m1-110 8.50 each at amazon shipped (I normally buy 4 at a time), +.25 crush washer= $56.25 for a oil change which is still affordable considering I used to do 3K OCI on my civic with M1 eco/wix at $34 per change. It isn't too pricey because my engine is so small and I stretch it out to 7K (in this case even 8k)

FYI the dealership charges $56 for a synthetic oil change using castrol Gtx and a mitsu filter. Doing 20 minutes of labor and spending the same amount gets me sleep at night. I might order the sustina tomorrow if I can verify this is the cheapest.

Last edited:
Supertech synthetic 5 quart is $17.47.
Pennzoil Gold 5 quart is $17.97.
Castrol magnatec is $18.

All just as good for your purpose.

If that fancy stuff makes you feel better then you don't need us.

Originally Posted By: alex16
For my Mirage it only uses 3 qts of oil so with sustina at 15.80 shipped plus my m1-110 8.50 each at amazon shipped (I normally buy 4 at a time), +.25 crush washer= $56.25 for a oil change which is still affordable considering I used to do 3K OCI on my civic with M1 eco/wix at $34 per change. It isn't too pricey because my engine is so small and I stretch it out to 7K (in this case even 8k)

FYI the dealership charges $56 for a synthetic oil change using castrol Gtx and a mitsu filter. Doing 20 minutes of labor and spending the same amount gets me sleep at night. I might order the sustina tomorrow if I can verify this is the cheapest.

M1 is about $5/quart when purchased in a 5 quart jug at Walmart. Plus $8-9 for a Fram Ultra,which is a better filter than the M1. That means your cost for an oil change would be under $25, and that combination of oil and filter is good for well beyond your 7000 mile OCI. You could even use the Fram Ultra for 2 of those OCIs and still not be using it to its potential.

3000 mile OCIs in your Civic using M1 is nothing short of a complete waste of money.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: alex16

M1 is about $5/quart when purchased in a 5 quart jug at Walmart. Plus $8-9 for a Fram Ultra,which is a better filter than the M1. That means your cost for an oil change would be under $25, and that combination of oil and filter is good for well beyond your 7000 mile OCI. You could even use the Fram Ultra for 2 of those OCIs and still not be using it to its potential.

3000 mile OCIs in your Civic using M1 is nothing short of a complete waste of money.

You don't understand. He's using a redline and sustina.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back