Bosch oil filters any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna change the oil in my mother in laws 94 Chevy pickup and the manual calls for ac delco pf1218 oil filter. I've been told that Bosch is slightly higher in quality than ac delco but I'm not sure so I hope you guys can help. The oil going in is pennzoil high mileage 5w30. If they are about the same in quality then I'm not gonna split hairs I'll just get the ac delco

I have had experience with Bosch filters before but never ac delco*

Last edited:
Their not bad. However I looked at one of the drop in filters. Didn't look to great. It will work for what you need. But it's definitely not a top of the line filter.

Is this about oil filters made by Bosch or for Bosch by Champion Labs and Purolator and sold under the Bosch label?

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Originally Posted By: BRZED
Is this about oil filters made by Bosch or for Bosch by Champion Labs and Purolator and sold under the Bosch label?

These ones: http://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-tires/oil-filters/91083_1074765_1044301

My guess is unless you buy a Bosch flter at the dealer, you will probably not get a Bosch-made but merely a Bosch-labeled filter. They should be okay, but will hardly be top of the iine. Bosch has been cheapening their name for years with selling their name on many cheap products. Apparently it's worth it to them.

I think I will stick to ac delco cuz they are also around 4-7 dollars cheaper too

Good decision!!!

I always run these kinds of questions by my wallet too.

The PF1218 is the E-core replacement for the old PF35. Both hold approximately one quart. I've used PF1218s in the past with no complaints but right now I'm using up the last of a stash of the blue PF35s RockAuto sold on clearance. I couldn't turn down a deal at the time.

You can still get a new PF35 but it's a retro-look for period-correctness, white with a "meatball" AC logo... not necessary for my car, which never had a white AC filter (I think they changed from white to blue in the '70s).

There is a PF1218CL listed by RockAuto, which is slightly longer than the PF1218 and may not be an E-core. I haven't personally seen one to confirm or deny that.

I haven't personally seen any problem with either the old AC design or new E-core AC by Champ Labs.

I would seriously consider the CarQuest red regular filter available at Advance Auto now and CarQuest. Cheaper than ACDelco ecores, and they are made good too. My next oil change coming up soon is going to get a CarQuest red R85036 which is equivalent to the ACDelco PF52. Cost me $3.69 at Advance Auto.

Last edited:
Thanks man I appreciate it that. Since I'm on the post/note of filters, would I have any trouble running a synthetic blend oil in the delco filter? I'm asking because I just found castrol magnatec 5w-30 on sale at the dollar general down the street for 3.25 qt!

Thanks man I appreciate it that. Since I'm on the post/note of filters, would I have any trouble running a synthetic blend oil in the delco filter? I'm asking because I just
found castrol magnatec 5w-30 on sale at the dollar general down the street for 3.25 qt!

You will be good to go with conventional, blend, or full synthetic with the ACDelco filter.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Thanks man I appreciate it that. Since I'm on the post/note of filters, would I have any trouble running a synthetic blend oil in the delco filter? I'm asking because I just
found castrol magnatec 5w-30 on sale at the dollar general down the street for 3.25 qt!

You will be good to go with conventional, blend, or full synthetic with the ACDelco filter.

Thanks man the reason I ask is because I've heard that a semi blend oil can cause problems with certain filters because of the mixture. No proof behind the claim just something I was told. It's the only way I learn stuff is by asking ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back