Varnish: Friend or Foe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the abstract of this famous paper cited many times on here. Sadly the full text is not available to me. They say it takes 3k for a protective "tribochemical film" to develop on the surface of the engine parts.

http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133

In this paper by "tribochemical film" are they referring to what we commonly refer to as varnish? We are all familiar with the yellow colour on the valvetrain in cars (AKA "Castrol Sludge" on some BMW forums). Is this the "tribochemical film" film they are analyzing in the paper?

Nope, it's not varnish.

Some papers I linked here

It's reaction products from the ZDDP, base metal, and other additives.

Having played heavily in varnish, and it's removal, I can't see any world where it's a friend.

This makes sense to me on this way.. I will say that the Pennzoil Gold Synthetic blend I just ran in my car turned brown kinda quickly.
I had noticed some varnish in where I could see in my motor from the cap opening. I had just ran some Havoline Pro DS before the Pennzoil Gold. Well next time I checked it after 1000 miles running the Pennzoil Gold I could tell it was cleaning up a good bit. So there is some truth to Pennzoils claim. I was impressed.

@ BBHero

I just had the same experience with PYB , but ironically the previous fill was Pennzoil Platinum. Oil has darkened in less than 100 miles.

Huh.... Strange indeed. I wonder if it's due to how long the previous oil had been in. Or maybe that the conventional oil in the blend helped lift off any varnish as well. In any case... That's kind of interesting.

Bbhero: my neighbor has one of the old 97' Sentras. He uses PYB 10or 5w30 in it. In around 5 oil changes he said he saw some definitive cleaning of some black staining on the valve cover. Yes, I too believe PYB and "GOLD" Pennzoil are cleaning oils

Yeah that makes sense to me too. The Pennzoil Gold Synthetic blend is a very good product for the price. I am running this Sunoco Ultra to see if it is another very good oil for $5 a qt. So if I don't find a oil on sale that I really like them I will just go and happily buy this Sunoco Ultra. IF it runs very well later on in this run. That's really what separates the products at the end of the day.

Sounds good captain
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Think of varnish as a primer coat for sludge, its anything but harmless or beneficial to a modern engine.

I agree. Also ring coking could be next as both are a result of oil oxidazion.

I ran Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30 in my 2010 F150, it's the only oil I ran for 75,000 miles. I noticed after about 20,000 miles my dipstick had varnish on it. I never had any issues with my truck, but noticed it nevertheless. Just an interesting observation.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Nope, it's not varnish.

Some papers I linked here

It's reaction products from the ZDDP, base metal, and other additives.

Having played heavily in varnish, and it's removal, I can't see any world where it's a friend.

Thanks for the oil literature I will check it out.

He said it was the only oil he used for 75k, he is not referring to a 75k OCI. At least that is the way I read it to mean.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
He said it was the only oil he used for 75k, he is not referring to a 75k OCI. At least that is the way I read it to mean.

Thank you KCJeep.. I re-read it and realized I read it incorrectly.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back