2003 Acura TL Transmission issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a 2003 Acura TL with 100k thinking the transmission was bad. It turned out to be that rodents chewed through the wiring harness and was repaired. Its been fine since. (I later found Honda did the tranny recall at 80k) Car is now 105,000

5 days ago my son went through a huge puddle and the car died and would not restart. After 4 hours it started and has been running ok.

3 days ago my son came in (car warm/hot) then said he had to do an errand. I walked out with him, he put it in reverse and hit the gas. I noticed the RPM's going up with no movement and said to stop. I got it hit R and D with no response. Tried to drive it... I was just like my old 4 speed with a bad clutch. Took it to a great IND.Honda shop He almost got killed trying to cross a busy road.

Got a call after 8 hours and they said we know you were not imagining it cause we had to push it in. It would not go, but when we got to it it was perfect. 1 hour test drive-perfect- No codes at all. Fluid perfect-

They said they don't do internal trans work and said it cold possibly be the torque converter. I have a good friend who owns a transmission shop. He said he never heard of a torque converter fixing itself. It must be the water-puddle he hit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
Very likely an electrical problem. Driving through "huge puddles" (aka "floods") is bad for electrical stuff. The problem may be delayed because it takes a few days / weeks / months for corrosion damage to occur.

Check for bad ground (run an auxiliary strap) and check any solenoids (mounted outside) for water intrusion.It doesn't throw any check-engine codes?

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Any opinions about the torque converter fixing itself?

Thanks

Seems very unlikely.

Realize that most modern automatics have no mechanical connection between the driver moving the shift handle and the gears engaging. It is all electronic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back