tacoma oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a 2016 tacoma with the 2.7L motor. I am trying to take care of this baby from day one so I can get as much life out of it as possible.

It calls for 0w20 oil and I know it's thin stuff which makes me wonder if there is a specific 0w20 that would be good for summer weather(90+) when I off roading(slow speed/high rpm) as well as city driving in the summer. I know the coolant keeps the engine cool to a certain point but will it help with oil temp? As far as I know the truck doesnt come with an oil cooler so will the oil get hotter than it normally does compared to when driving on the high way, where there is a lot of air flow that will cool everything?

What about winter where the ambient temp is generally around the freezing point? Although I am thinking about installing a block heater so I can enjoy warmth right away. :p

Am I over examining this? Would sticking to any reputable 0w20 synthic exceed my needs or would a specific oil for the summer and a specific oil for the winter actually be a good idea?

Last edited:
Sounds like some 0-20 Syn Castrol, M1, PP, et al.

Off roading is definitely severe service. Oil changes, and some other additional maintenance may be needed..

Don't need different oils in Maryland between winter and summer.

If it calls for 0w-20 then use it. I'm not familiar with the engine however being a truck I would assume it has some form of oil cooling whether it's a simple heat exchanger or plumbed into the rad like my Chevy.

I'm sure it's got a maintenance minder so no need to put any though into this at all. If you are out mudding the oil life monitor will just go off sooner. So don't sweat it.
Don't bother paying extra for a long life oil. You can't get your money's worth running it any longer so just find a regular 0w-20 and Rock on.

I suggest you google motoman's break in procedure and follow the directions to the letter. Break in is more important than it ever was. When you hear about new engines consuming oil I'm convinced most are caused by breaking in too softly.
He's a racer and his procedure is accurate in my experience.

My buddy goes mudding in his 2012 Tacoma 2.7 almost every weekend (it wears mud like a badge of honor). He uses whatever 0W-20 is on sale and doesn't think twice. Like Clevy mentioned, this friend broke the truck in with higher than normal rpm jaunts and now has no appreciable oil consumption on his ~60,000 mile truck.

The V-6 on that truck has a sandwich oil cooler at the filter base. I would take a good look at your filter base and see if you can see the coolant hoses to a similar cooler. With the cooler, you're good to go, regardless of use.

And in that case, the Toyota oil, or any of the oils mentioned above, would be just fine.

I dont know how things are now days or if people are just more educated and have a better understanding of everything to do with oils, but years ago amsoil was regarded as the king of oils by many. Is this still the case? I hear it's an excellent oil, and I compared prices and it looks like OEM oil will only be 1 dollar cheaper than amsoil. Would amsoil be better than the toyota oil or no? I bought the truck new and I want to do the best maintenance I can afford so that I can get get atleast 15 years of life out of the thing.

I hear the toyota oil is excellent, lots of info on it on this forum. Just wasn't sure how amsoil would compare to it. I would definitely be going by the 6 month schedule since I put something like 5k on vehicles per year so I know amsoil might be a little over kill, but if it has better cleaning, anti wear, and start up properties I'd be more than willing to bite the extra cost.

The 2.7 is one of the nicest motors Toyota has ever produced. I had a 2006 4X4 x cab, manual trans. I gave to my son and he love it / I loved it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back