Timing Belts oem Honda And A/C Delco Both Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little info, I had a customer on Friday that has a Honda and needed a timing belt because he has 120,000 on the original one.. So he wanted one directly from Honda because he asked us what we use and i told him a/c delco or oem.. So i got one from Honda and paid more of course and both belts were the exact same and both had the name gates on them just one cost less. It seems Gates makes most of the belts and water pumps we use.. My distributor sells mostly a/c delco timing belts and we have not had any problems probably because they are rebadged gates.

Most Japanese timing belts i get OE are Mitsuboshi and Bando serpentine belts on US produced models. I never got a gates branded Honda belt but they are similar in quality.

Just because it is made by the same company that make the OEM belt doesn't necessary mean it is the same belt. Honda may insist on different material specs and or testing. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Just because it is made by the same company that make the OEM belt doesn't necessary mean it is the same belt. Honda may insist on different material specs and or testing. Ed

This is very true.

The interesting thing would be to see the gates internal part number for the OE Honda version and gates aftermarket version, if they are the same then likely they are identical in everyway except the Honda name on it.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Eddie

This is very true.

The interesting thing would be to see the gates internal part number for the OE Honda version and gates aftermarket version, if they are the same then likely they are identical in everyway except the Honda name on it.

It's cheaper for part manufactures to produce the same part for OE and aftermarket. Manufacture same part with different material and keep track of which is which is a nightmare no one wants to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back