Replace Brake Line Tube Nuts with new Hard Lines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am replacing the steel brake lines in my 32 year old Pontiac with Nicopp lines. Most of original OEM tube (flare) nuts look in better shape (less rust) than the aftermarket nuts I replaced several years ago during a brake line repair. The AM nuts are made by AGS in either China, Korea or USA, but no way to tell which is which. I have not had good luck with other hardware made in China. Is there any reason to replace the OEM nuts if they look OK ?

Last edited:
Cut the line off nearly flush with the nut and use a six point 7/16 or 11 mm socket. I also have a 4 oz ball peen tapper for giving the nuts a little percussive persuasion. I would be gentle with a short handle ratchet or combination. If you have to resort to a vise grip , check the fitting for roundness before using. What model of 83 Poncho is worth it? Figured it out, a Firebird of course. I just used regular old 3/16 steel brake line and mostly new fittings. Replaced ever single steel line in the Rat. I also did the rear lines on a few BMWs and 5 Grand Wagoneers. Get yourself a decent double flare tool, a small tubing cutter and a file. I've gotten to the point where I actually enjoyed the 2 jobs. Not needing the vehicles to earn my daily bread adds a good deal to the comfort level too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Not needing the vehicles to earn my daily bread adds a good deal to the comfort level too.
grin2.gif

You got that right! Working on your primary vehicle can be stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back