Which USA Sold Cars Have Swivel Headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a heck of a time finding a list of cars sold in the USA in the last 15 years that have headlights that turn to better illuminate corners.

I know the idea is almost as old as the headlight itself, and I know that SOME cars sold in the USA have had the option for years but I can't find WHICH cars!

Google returns about 100 billion copies of the same "Stupid antiquated US laws against 'adaptive' headlights" repost. Yeah, I get it, we have stupid laws that make the best Mercedes and Audi headlights available elsewhere in the world unavailable here... I want to know if there are any used cars in my price range (cheap) that may have that option, can't afford a new European luxury vehicle.

I think VW/Audi, BMW, and some GM vehicles have or have had the option in the past, probably more.

Thank you for that one. Not really my style (I've never liked Mercedes) but what I'm after right now is a nearly comprehensive list of which cars may have that feature.

Do you have any specifics like when the option became available and on which Mazdas? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: linksep
Thank you for that one. Not really my style (I've never liked Mercedes) but what I'm after right now is a nearly comprehensive list of which cars may have that feature.

It's the active curve illumination on Mercedes E320 and E350. W211 would be 2003-2009. Even the newer models have it, I think they do something with the LED lights now instead of the Xenon bulbs. You should try driving one, very smooth and quiet. It's also not a very common option as you only find it on cars that have the Bixenon headlamps. It's nice though, when driving on an on/off ramp, you actually see the road instead of the guardrail.

Do you have any specifics like when the option became available and on which Mazdas? Thanks.

I don't know for sure, but I think Mazda has been offering adaptive lighting for several ytears on the Mazda 3, Mazda 6 and CX-5.

My uncle has had 3 Lincolns with them since 2005....
2006 Zephyr, 2009 MKX, 2013 MKX

All with HID's that do a little swivel dance when he starts the vehicle up.

mine has it too, but not sold in the US.

I like that it's so subtle you don't notice the swivelling unless you particularly pay attention to it or in foggy conditions where you can follow the beam. If you notice the swivelling it might grab yourattention from where it should be.

Can be one or both headlights that swivel into the turn depending on the speed and tightness of the turn. the degree of swivel is also variable.

Last edited:
The adaptive headlight has more parts than standard, more parts more chance to fail and more expensive to replace.

Unless you drive very aggressive on mountain roads or your daily drive is on country road with lot of tight turns, you don't need adaptive headlight.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The adaptive headlight has more parts than standard, more parts more chance to fail and more expensive to replace.

Unless you drive very aggressive on mountain roads or your daily drive is on country road with lot of tight turns, you don't need adaptive headlight.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I agree.

Or you can just not drive at night at all.
laugh.gif

I am looking precisely because I often drive at night on very windy roads in moderate to heavily wooded areas with tons of wildlife dozens of miles from the nearest streetlight. I have driven my Dad's BMW with adaptive headlights in those types of areas and frankly driving a vehicle with standard lights is almost crazy in comparison.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: wemay

I agree.

Or you can just not drive at night at all.
laugh.gif

Yeah, MB has their headlamps at about $1500 each. Just because it's bixenon with the ballast and they auto-level. I think rockauto sells some cheaper ones, but they're still several hundred dollars. They're still pretty cool though.

I am looking precisely because I often drive at night on very windy roads in moderate to heavily wooded areas with tons of wildlife dozens of miles from the nearest streetlight. I have driven my Dad's BMW with adaptive headlights in those types of areas and frankly driving a vehicle with standard lights is almost crazy in comparison.

I agree, you need adaptive headlight with either HID or LED to light up the curvy roads.

But prepare to pay when you need to replace either or both headlight assemblies if it failed for any reason, such as accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back