How much is 1200MB of data..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I decided to get rid of Sprint Phone Service and try Tracfone. There giving me 1200 phone minutes, 1200 texts and 1200MB of data for a year. Since this is my first Smartphone....I have no idea how much 1200MB is. So I figured I'd ask you all. How much data do you use in a month?

1200MB for a year? That's enough for a smartphone for a month as long as you're connected to WiFi when you're at home.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
that is only 1.2GB; heck if your phone gets updated, it might use up 0.5GB in bandwidth!

Yes however you skip upgrade on cell data and use Wifi.

1.2 GB while light for a data plan is doable if you are on wifi at home and have wifi available at work.

My wife and I don't really surf, do updates, or send pictures on our phones unless we are on our wifi. We still end up using 1.5-2.0 gigs!

Edit: ..and that's per month. (to OP)

Last edited:
Do you have a smartphone (iPhone, Android, etc,)? Tracfone usually has a triple minute plan that would triple your minutes, texts, & data, giving you 3600 minutes/texts, & 3.6 GB of data for a year. That's what I have on my Verizon iPhone 4, 3G data which I seldom use, I use wifi or mobile hotspot my work iPhone 6.

1200MB is a little over 1GB. (1GB = 1024MB) That isn't much if you are actually going to use your smartphone as a smartphone. No way will that last you a year. It may last you a month if you're a very light user and only using it to check your email and do some occasional web browsing. Don't be watching videos or using any music streaming (Pandora, iHeartRadio, etc) or you'll use up that data in no time. Social media can use up data rather quickly too.

I don't have home Internet service, so my smartphone is my only Internet source. I typically use well over 10GB a month. Right now I've used 9GB with 13 days still left in my billing cycle. That's why I've stuck with my Sprint unlimited plan.

If you have home Internet service, get a wireless router so your phone will be connected to wifi when you're at home. If your work has wifi that you're allowed to connect to, use it. Unless they're completely turned off, smartphones send and receive data even if you're not actually using your phone, so connecting to wifi as much as possible will greatly reduce the amount of data you're using on your carrier's network.

I have a Virgin Mobile smartphone and use about 10-40 MB per week on their network. I mooch wifi wherever I go.

Virgin (Sprint, LOL) gives me 2.5 GB a month then throttles it if I go over, a pretty fair setup if you ask me. Though the service can be spotty. Voice and text are somewhat better than 3G.

folks i would assume he means 1200MB(~1.2GB)/month, for a year.
and to the OP,I send, third, fourth, whatever, get a wireless router and set up wifi @ home ASAP.

My nephew is in a similar situation, but he's only got 120MB tripled to 360MB... which is NOTHING. Luckily, I'd set them up with wifi at home a couple years back, and his School has an open network.(K-12 in one building, all the students from 7th grade & up Get School Supplied Laptops.)

This One (Currently $24.99 @ Amazon), was up on Meh.com recently for $12. Not the greatest, but fairly decent, and super easy to set up.

The "Doofus" in that video is Matthew, the Meh.com "Video Ombudsman". His Job is to Make a new video for Meh several times a week. (was daily for their first year, but now every couple days), He's one of the many Meh staffers who used to work for Woot.com(where he did the same thing) until shortly after Amazon Bought & Ruined Woot.
Check out their YT Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUughwYY6tc45culJCYsDcQ

Last edited:
Does your phone show 3G or LTE when connected?

1200mb is actually hard to burn up with 3G as its a garden hose draining a pool instead of LTE which is askin to a fire hose.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
folks i would assume he means 1200MB(~1.2GB)/month, for a year.

It not a monthly plan, it's prepaid. You buy X amount of data (1200MB in this case) which must be used within a year. When you use up the data you've purchased, you're cut off until you buy more.

It looks like that 1200MB of data is to introduce a NEW smartphone user to the internet and still be at a certain price point.

How much are you paying 35$@cricket gets you AT&T towers 2.5GB/month @8mbit bandwidth then 3g throttled.

that includes all taxes and fees

oh and unlimited phone/text

If you're diligent about connecting to WiFi when available and make minimal use of the mobile data connection (e.g. avoid streaming music too much or video at all when on cell) then you can get by with a little data, but 1200 mb is pretty low for a year. I'm on Republic Wireless and manage to get by on 200-300 MB per month, and that's with being connected to WiFi nearly all the time and honestly making pretty minimal use of the phone. My wife sits around 500 MB per month.

If you can add additional data for a reasonable cost and are willing to do that then it's worth considering. IMO if you're just trying out smartphone service you want to have plenty of data available so you don't have to worry so much and can just figure out how you want to use and enjoy it. Plan on the 1200 MB lasting you between 2-4 months IMO.

The phone is 3G...I made the switch to lower my phone bill. With Sprint it was $40 a month just for phone. Now with this prepaid it will be $9 a month. 1200 minutes works out to 3 minutes a day and with text I think it's doable in a year. The internet isn't important to me since I have it here at home on my desktop.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
The phone is 3G...I made the switch to lower my phone bill. With Sprint it was $40 a month just for phone. Now with this prepaid it will be $9 a month. 1200 minutes works out to 3 minutes a day and with text I think it's doable in a year. The internet isn't important to me since I have it here at home on my desktop.

There is some confusion in this thread because of how you worded things. Is this really 1200 minutes total for the entire year? That's 90 minutes a month? I've never heard of such a thing. Normally plans are monthly. *confused* Are you sure you read the plans details right? Is there a link to this plan somewhere on the ATT site? Is this really a 1200 min year plan or are you just pre-paying for that much and expect it to last an entire year? I'm confused about how this is working. It's not at all like what I have come to expect from ATT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back