Would You Buy This New Toyota Small Sport Coupe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appearance aside, it's probably more fun and realistic to drive this car at 90 precent of its limits than it is to drive other cars at the well under 50 percent you will probably ever get to drive them.

It's the James May school of thought. Funner to go 'fast' in a slow car than slow in a fast car.

That is one ugly car. I hoped they slapped the designer when that thing was born.

It does have one thing going for it if it's sold in California. Even the illegals here wouldn't steal it for fear of being seen driving it.

I like the front, back and interior pics.

Not so much on the side profile. But it might be a case of getting used to it. At least it won't seem dated in a few years. If this thing is around 15k they might have a hit.

I sure wish the Honda CRZ was naturally aspirated instead of a heavy hybrid 2 seater.

As stated....kind of an ugly car from some angles. The small engine could work with a super light vehicle. I would think it would be better suited as a convertible roadster...like the MX5. In my opinion, it won't sell very well if they bring it over here. But what do I know!?

I have already emailed Toyota and offered my willingness to make a deposit. Today. Heck, I would take out financing in advance.

Unless the put the engine in the proper place (in the middle)... that would be the only thing I would prefer over the concept. I love the interior with the odd textures. The grill might be toned down but I could live with it.

FRS/BRZ was never underpowered... it was too heavy. I like it, I just would not buy it so I kept the MR2.

Originally Posted By: SR5
If it was all in black or gun metal grey, plus add a turbo to the engine.

Then yes, I would have one.

I agree, ALL BLACK may not look too bad.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
That is one ugly car. I hoped they slapped the designer when that thing was born.

It does have one thing going for it if it's sold in California. Even the illegals here wouldn't steal it for fear of being seen driving it.

Toyota doesn't appreciate this comment
grin2.gif

Tolerable rear, tolerable side view, front looks like deranged Tojo having a psychotic meltdown.

So, no.

Still, if it drives right, and the price is right, maybe - you can't see how ugly the outside is from the inside ....

Hmm must of been designed in Japan.. can't even write what I thought when I first seen it. Which oddly enough fits in with what little I know about Japan and associated weirdness. Would I drive it if it was anything similar to the Miata I test drove a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Toyota was clearly aiming for minimalist simplicity in the design of the interior.
This explains the lack of gauges cluttering the dash.
Gauges in modern cars are invariably heavily damped anyway and the needles never move after warm-up unless something drastically wrong happens.
Drive an old car with real temp and oil pressure gauges and you'll see what I mean.
I find this car to be one the most attractive and interesting designs to come from Toyota in many years.
I consider most current Toys *****.

All the dampened gauges that I have encountered let me glean a lot more info and in a more timely manner than any idiot light. For example, even a dampened coolant temp gauge lets me see when the thermostat opens and when the temperature exceeds normal operating temperature way before an idiot light raises [censored]. Maybe on some cars dampened gauges are as useless as idiot lighst, but I haven't come across any just yet. The other thing is that I like what many probably consider clutter: speedo and tacho, coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, Volts, Amps, fuel gauge. I prefer analog instruments vastly over numerical readouts. Easy to see and to evaluate data with one glance. All my recent cars lack instrumentation, and I don't like it.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Chop the nose off....

opelgt_zpsgcfnwpk6.jpg

An Opel GT is much more graceful than the Toyota and looks more like a small Vette. But the Opel is very slow.

In answer to the question in the title. " Would You Buy This New Toyota Small Sport Coupe ?" Nope. I have too many reasons to list why......... Nick 1994, summed it up nicely with this:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
37.gif

The rear end is like the old Opel GT....front end more Fiat 500....but overall it's designed for Asia...small engines in narrow cars for short distance runs on small roadways...

I think it's a good looking car. The small engine is fine for it's intended purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back