Need a winter tire rec...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to run the front wheel drive Toyota this winter, here's the issue, 500 mile round trips every weekend right up the west side of Lake Michigan, 340 miles of Interstate 160 miles of 2 lane avg. speed 70mph with highs of 80mph.

One way is 250mi.and I'd guess the road to be clear and dry 80% of the time but when the storms hit that typical 3.5hr. drive goes to a white knuckle 6hrs.

Concerns I have is wear and longevity going 11,000 miles over four months how many seasons might I expect? (I'm otherwise easy on tires). Will good winter tires really improve grip? Will the drive experience be degraded?

Currently running 235/70/16 LTX M/S2 7-8/32 of tread. I have a second set of factory rims.

What winter tire should I consider if any for improvement...tia.

Be aware that tires from Japan are only snow tire rubber for the first half of their life (Japanese regulations).

Michelin snow tires typically come out ahead in tire tests. Check out consumer reports for a typical review.

I am planning to run General Tire Altimax Arctic after my IG20s are worn out, a buddy at work has them, loves them and they are inexpensive and long wearing.

Michelin is the only company to offer a wear warranty on their winter tires. So if tread life is a concern, you may want to go with the X-ice Xi2, since the top rated Xi3 isn't available for your Highlander.

I'd probably go with the Latitude xice xi2 or the bridgestone blizzak dm-v1.. both of which are on tirerack closeout.

or the blizzak dm-v2 (which isnt on closeout)

the Pirelli scorpion performance winter is another option thats less for severe winter driving and more oriented for overall winter driving--tirerack closeout @110$

The altimax arctics are a good traditional winter tire but their ice traction is lacking without studs(when compared to class leading studless winter tires)

Last edited:
Did the Altimax Artic $367.00 delivered. thx for all the opinions.

Last edited:
Avoid Hankook Evo studless...poor on ice.

I'd go for Michelin or Bridgestone Blizzak. DM-Z1 are truck tires, heavier than pax tires, that'll effect handling and braking somewhat, otherwise excellent.

I put a about 12 to 15,000 miles on every winter here in WI also.
I bought my 2014 Mazda 6 and needed rims and snow for the it's first winter. So I bought the "All Great Blizzak snow tires. Other than they ride nice and are quiet going down the road. They are a terrible snow tire, at least for the roads and conditions I drive on. Or maybe the Mazda 6 is the problem? For what ever the car with Blizzak can't go though/ or stop/ the snow or ice like my Milan did with the Winterforce tires.
If I was going to do it over I would buy Winterforce or Altimax Arctic.

Last edited:
^ maybe it's the low profile? What's your cross width compared to the milan, and how much heavier was the milan?

Milan 215/60-16
Mazda 215/60-17 (this is my winter tires size) Summer tires are the stock 19"
Curb weight on both cars is around 3200 lbs.
Both 4 cyl autos/ Milan was I4 Premium.

Do not think twice to buy winter tires in your area.
Now, that that issue is way, my recommendation is to stay away from Michelin.
While Michelin provides best dry grip, best all season feel like, it starts at 11/32, while Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 starts at 14/32.
I have Blizzaks on both cars in the winter, and they can easily make 20K before you hit all season compound. However, WS80 is all winter compound.
If you are still sketchy about Bridgestone, I would go with Continental WinterContact SI.
It is new tire on the market, BUT Continental is setting up standards when it comes to winter tires in Europe for more then a decade.
They will be better in dry then Blizzak WS80 and better in snow and especially slush then Michelin Xi2.

Not sure why you are so against Michelin but according to Consumer Reports: Michelin X-Ice XI3, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 and Continental WinterContact SI provide very similar performance in all conditions.
Continentals and Bridgestones are louder. Continentals provide worse handling.

Any of them will beat all seasons in snow and ice and suffer from worse wet and dry.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Not sure why you are so against Michelin but according to Consumer Reports: Michelin X-Ice XI3, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 and Continental WinterContact SI provide very similar performance in all conditions.
Continentals and Bridgestones are louder. Continentals provide worse handling.

Any of them will beat all seasons in snow and ice and suffer from worse wet and dry.

Krzys

1. Any of them will beat all season tires? YES. No doubt. People here know I am huge advocate of winter tires.
2. Drove Xi 3 in Colorado mountains. CR is good, but trust myself more. First, 11/32 cannot have same deep snow and slush performance as 14/32, and it is obvious by just looking at tires. Second, Xi3 has tread pattern that is too congested. Channels between two tread blocks is too narrow for evacuation of snow or slush on par with Blizzak or Continental.
3.Michlin is good overall, especially dry, wet and life of tire. However, in really adverse situations (blizzard, slush) they are not on par with Blizzak and SI. Michelin has this tendency in Europe too. They are always ranked in the Middle of the pack, and over there they offer much more aggressive tires.
That being said, when it comes to performance tires I only drive on Michelin, but winter, no.

If your concerned with water or slush, have a look at Michelins Alpin range. Xice are considered "scandinavian" tyres on our side of the pond. They are undoubtedly superior to central european tyres on packed snow and ice, but worse concerning auqaplaning and slush. I have been using Michelin Alpin tyres - from Alpin over A2, A3 and now A4 - on my saabs since 2007, and cannot complain.
Nice handling when dry, not as squishy as most other winter tyres, not stellar, but sufficient grip on "white" roads (my parents live in Sweden in a "saltfria kommun", salt-free municipality, so christmas holydays is always on snow and ice), very nice in slush, and they tend to last forever. Our family (my father has been driving Michelin for ages) always gets 50.000 to 60.000km on front wheel drive cars (VW Passat typ 32b, Peugeot 405, Peugeot Partner, Nissan Micra, and several Saab 90, 900 and 9000), when every other tyre I have tried lasted 30000 to 35000km at most.
My current Michelin A4 have 7mm left after 18000km on the front wheels (until then unrotated). They started somewhat around 8,5mm, if I recall correctly.

I shall never, ever buy a Continental again. Yes, they tend to win every test they enter. And they are, admittedly, great when new. But they do not last well. I once had a set of Conti TS 790 or 810 on my first saab. First winter was absolutely great, second was horrible. I also had to dispose of two sets of Conti Eco Contact summer tyres after just 20.000km with nearly 2/3 of the thread remaining. They, too, were absolutely great when new. Then, all of a sudden, they stopped working... suddenly, even my old mercedes w123 diesel's asthmatic 88 horsepower (in a two-ton car) would be enough to get the car powersliding on wet and dry tarmac alike. Needless to say stopping distance or cornering ability were likewise affected. My guess is that they use two differend compunds, a soft one on the surface for winning tests, and then something rock hard underneath for thread life. Clearly optmised for test performance at the expense of customer benefit.
I'm tempted to call them the VW of the rubber industry. Never again!

All my Michelin tyres, be it summer or winter, seem to start at about 90 or 95% of the Conti's performance, but not only do they last, they also keep performing. If you drive a lot and are willing to compromise a bit on "new" performnace, so that you do not end up with either bald or useless tyres in the middle of winter, they're probably your best option. And on a €/km base, by far the cheapest.

Note: all this applies to tyres up to and including the A4. I've not yet driven the A5, but if the tyre tests are to be trusted, Michelin seems to have given up a bit of dry performance and a lot of longevity for a tad better snow performance. I'm not really sure if I would want to buy that.

Last edited:
Torque? Which torque? OM 617 has somewhat around 168 Nm... that's not even remotely torquy. And beingnaturally aspirated, there also is no "spike" in torque, like with turbo diesel. Low torque, but what little is there is there always, no matter where in the rev band you are.

Last edited:
well I hope it's worth it, paid $200 for used OEM rims shipped, another $160 to have them blasted and painted then $366 for the 235/70/16 Altimax Artic tires and lastly $70 to mount & balance, close to $800 done. They will see action here running up and down the east length of my state every weekend for four months a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back