Transmission doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very few posts but have been following the going ons on this site for a while. Anyways, have been an Amsoil user for a while and in a moment of madness I put some Torque Drive in my Vibe's automatic. Is my transmission doomed?

Originally Posted By: bolide
in a moment of madness I put some Torque Drive in my Vibe's automatic

How much is "some"? And how is it shifting now?

Last edited:
I have used Amsoil in a lot of things over the years, and it has worked very well. I would have used the Signature series myself. But that is just me.

Did you have the Torque drive laying around.

Very few posts but have been following the going ons on this site for a while. Anyways, have been an Amsoil user for a while and in a moment of madness I put some Torque Drive in my Vibe's automatic. Is my transmission doomed?

You don't claim to be an.. engineer, do you?

Just keep the bait out.

I had the Torque Drive lying around, 10 quart jug, use it in the T56 in the cts v. I am no engineer, but do have a physics degree from a long long time ago...lol.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Does it require T-IV or 3309?
If so, add 3.5 ounces of Lubegard black or platinum, or equivalent.

I recommend against doing that as it would significantly modify the dynamic friction coefficient of the fluid, potentially causing slipping of clutches and bands.

TorqueDrive was designed for industrial (truck) transmissions with slightly different clutch friction surfaces and dynamic friction coefficients.

I would do two drains and refills with the Amsoil ATF.

Quote:
...but do have a physics degree from a long long time ago...lol.

Then you know the importance of dynamic (kinetic) friction coefficients:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/friction-coefficients-d_778.html

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction

Last edited:
I had the Torque Drive lying around, 10 quart jug, use it in the T56 in the cts v. I am no engineer, but do have a physics degree from a long long time ago...lol.

Who actually makes the Torque Drive, and is it a synthetic??

Is this the stuff that was factory installed in (and recommended for) the Viper T56es/TR6060s?

Where have you been daily?

Amsoil developed TorqueDrive many years ago as a replacement for the more expensive (at the time) Allison TES-295 fluid made by Castrol, called, TranSynd™.

Last edited:
Guys, before it gets out of hand, the only reason I used the Torque Drive is because I have so much of it around. Again how much different can it be from the Universal ATF. T-IV is a Dexron III equivalent according to the literature and so are both the ATF and Torque Drive, so I figured why not. Now I am having doubts...Also like I said it seems to shift same as before...I don't know

T-IV is not a Dexron equivalent. T-IV is an HFM fluid for smooth shifts, variable torque converter lockup, and adaptive shifts based on fluid and trans wear.

What trollish literature are you reading?

Amsoil Torque Drive is a TES295 equivalent. Tes295 were developed as a full PAO Dexron-IIIg extended life fluid.

It can be different enough to destroy your trans or torque converter, cause abrupt shifts, or excessive slippage, trigger transmission codes....

Your transmission is doomed. For a fyziks major, am surprised at your inability to research your ATF that is required compared to TD specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back