2015 Camry 4 cyl antienvironmental oil burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Benito
^ That's the problem with googling for proof of what you want to believe (confirmation bias):

Only one person in that thread is reporting an oil consumption problem.

Most are saying NO consumption.

And many are questioning the validity of that 1 qt per 500 mile statement.

You guys are missing the point by a mile.

ALL OEM's have statements that are similar to these made by BMW and GM. The levels defined as "acceptable" by the OEM's is ridiculous. That doesn't mean that you are actually going to EXPERIENCE that level.

DoubleWasp was stating that he'd never buy a BMW based on the statement made by the company representative. I simply googled for a GM one to show that they aren't the only one saying things like that, they ALL do.

This has nothing to do with confirmation bias, it has to do with forming an opinion on a brand based on what a company rep says or the verbiage in the manual rather than actual experience. I am well aware of the ACTUAL state of LS7 consumption and it is no surprise that none of our BMW's have consumed any significant amount of oil either
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Joe90_guy
If this wasn't such a new car, I'd say you had a stuck oil control ring on the problem piston. If they've truly done a compression check and it's okay, then your top ring and very likely the second ring are free and doing their jobs properly.
Often people will try pouring a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in to free a gunked up oil control ring but if you're still doing sealed sump oil tests, you can't do this (dropping kerosene into engine oil isn't a good thing).
As regards your catalytic converter, I suspect it's already knackered; poisoned by the phosphorus and sulphur you get from burning ZDDP. I'm no expert but it seems to me that cats are very tolerant of oil burning engines in the sense that they don't block or start breaking up. However it will quickly stop functioning as an anti-pollution device as the metallic catalysts deactivate.
Normally, with oil burning engines, I'd recommend moving to the lowest Noack oil you can find to help reduce oil consumption. However this fix is more appropriate to engines which lose oil as a result of excessive blow-by and recirculate oil via the PCV system to the intake manifold. If this was the case, you would see deposits on all of your spark plugs and in your case it's just one.
Alternatively you could try running the car on an HDD 15W40 and see if this helps. Diesel oil contains a lot more ashless dispersant and heavy base oil than 0W20 PCMO and if you do have a stuck oil control ring, this is what you need to free it up.
Good luck!

PS - should you ever get this engine stripped down, maybe as part of a legal case, make sure you get the mechanic to check that all of the piston rings have been installed the right way up. An upside down second ring might explain the symptoms you're seeing.

The dealership had to order a plug. We'll be replacing the plug in cylinder 4 next week. I still think my best shot at getting them to fix the engine is to convince them cylinder 4 is sick.

I'm just a humble Brit and would never profess to have any understanding of US law. However, isn't it a requirement of federal, rather that individual state law, that your vehicle be fitted with a legally compliant, fully functioning catalytic converter? I don't suppose that your service manager is remotely scared of you individually, but I might venture to suggest that the Suits at Toyota are very scared of the EPA, particularly in the post-Dieselgate climate. You might not be able to get Toyota to fix your car on the basis of what they laughably deem to be 'acceptable' oil consumption but you might be able to get them to fix the problem on the basis that oil loss related cat poisoning making the vehicle non-compliant with federal emission laws...

Last edited:
I might not have much to add to this thread, but our 2015 2.5 has about 5600ish miles on it. From day one it was run hard, not abused. Set in sport mode up mountain passes and it sees a mountain pass twice a day and is operated at full temp every time (no short runs). As of now there is no noticeable oil usage. I decided to go with the dealer recommended OCI until free service is over. Either you have a bum engine or it was not run hard enough off the lot.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm surprised Toyota considers 0.8 quarts of oil consumption within 1200 miles acceptable.

Exactly. I'd consider that acceptable maybe within break in or when it has two or three hundred thousand miles on it. Under normal warranty conditions, I'd have a fit.

If I wanted a car that burns a bunch of oil, I could go into the "Cars Under $5000" section of Kijiji, rather than a new car dealer.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Either you have a bum engine or it was not run hard enough off the lot.

Some guys say that the engine is already broken in when you drive off the lot and statements like this are ridiculous.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

Some guys say that the engine is already broken in when you drive off the lot and statements like this are ridiculous.

Nor do I. But having the same exact setup as the OP, ours does not use any noticeable oil. It gets run to temp everyday and goes up a steep mountain pass twice a day.

Originally Posted By: Joe90_guy
I'm just a humble Brit and would never profess to have any understanding of US law. However, isn't it a requirement of federal, rather that individual state law, that your vehicle be fitted with a legally compliant, fully functioning catalytic converter? I don't suppose that your service manager is remotely scared of you individually, but I might venture to suggest that the Suits at Toyota are very scared of the EPA, particularly in the post-Dieselgate climate. You might not be able to get Toyota to fix your car on the basis of what they laughably deem to be 'acceptable' oil consumption but you might be able to get them to fix the problem on the basis that oil loss related cat poisoning making the vehicle non-compliant with federal emission laws...

Or perhaps the oil is consumed and burns without side effect, just like the other hundreds of gallons of petroleum products thst get burnt. It maybe a jump to conclusions that oil consumption inherently has bad side effects and is going to ruin everything.

But to your query yes the warranty has a federal mandated section on emissions related items so those all are completely covered if they fail within a certain number of years or miles. I think 5 or 7 and 70k miles? . I think CA also has a more strict law so cars sold there get extra years too.

If this problem really has the side effects as tou imagine it should ruin the emissions well before the earranty runs out and then you have a case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

And I can understand your quandry...

Whether it's driven hard or easy from day one it really should make little if any difference... If it could be known, I'll bet the average owner owner likely put-puts around easily for the first few hundred miles... So if it's bad where are the millions of oil burning vehicles?? To think it has to be hammered from day one is a bunch of bovine effluent...

AND this statement is from someone who regularly hammers the throttle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back