2015 Camry 4 cyl antienvironmental oil burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lots of good info, and lots of 'cheats' in here.

First off you need them to do a proper test. The car should be placed on a lift and the oil drained, from there fill with the specified amount of oil. Upon conclusion of the test miles the oil should be drained and measured. None of this looking at the dipstick [censored].

As far as driving at high RPM, well it is HIGHLY unlikely they will even look to find out how the engine was driven. Even then, rest you conscious, is driving with the RPM up a bit any different than the folks who drive the mountains of TN/CO/etc with 400 lbs of pointless stuff in their car? I doubt the test is 1 quart in 1200 miles, in flat country, driven like a grandma, unloaded, and with the prevailing wind. There is a difference between abuse and driving aggressive, do the later.

You don't have to cheat this to get what you are after.

Originally Posted By: WayneandAnna
This dealership rotates the tires every 5,000 miles and tops off the oil. They told me that 90% of their customers never check the oil. I'd use about 3 1/2 quarts in 5,000 miles and the engine only holds 4.6 quarts of oil.

Top off the oil at 5000 miles? You mean they don't change the oil at 5000 miles? It's no wonder their engines are wearing out. What's got me perplexed is the number 4 cylinder is using more oil than the other three.

Weird. have the 2ARFE in my 2011 Camry. Just drove it 1000 miles on a trip zero oil consumption.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: bionictony
is there a TSB or some kind of publicized oil consumption bulletin on the 2AR-FE engine?

Where do I go to find this out?

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Weird. have the 2ARFE in my 2011 Camry. Just drove it 1000 miles on a trip zero oil consumption.
21.gif

That tells me right there that there's something wrong with the OP's engine. With 0W-20 being as thin as it is, that doesn't leave much room for error. All the clearances have to be spot on or the engine is gonna consume oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
21.gif

That tells me right there that there's something wrong with the OP's engine. With 0W-20 being as thin as it is, that doesn't leave much room for error. All the clearances have to be spot on or the engine is gonna consume oil.

Could be the case. We have had the car for a year now. zero oil consumption since then.
The car was up speeds of 75 MPH for stretches. I did take a quart with us just in case.

Quote:

I'm assuming the computer records data about how the car is driven. Doesn't it? What does it record?

Yes, you have a computer in your vehicle that records tons of info. It's probably the reason why I have had zero issues or questions asked when I have had almost $4K of warranty work performed. I broke it in exactly as the manual stated. Unlike:
Quote:
" I gave them some serious "whipping" during the first several days, and then changed oil. None of those engines suffer from burning oil issues."

Lets check this engine's health at 75K. Pretty sure "serious "whipping"" is no where in the Honda manual. But hey! What do Honda engineers know?

Last edited:
I agree a few red line revs say from 20 to 65 then again from 40 to 65 and you might seat the rings when we rebuild an engine we tell people to drive it normally but when it is safe punch it a few times that really seats the rings if you baby it there is a chance it may burn oil forever.
Subaru engines are not what they were 20 years ago thats for sure.

Do you like the car? Is it what your wife wants to drive?

There is so much more to cars than just the engine. Yeah sure, it's important - but ... Back a few years, all Volvos and Jag's consumed a qt every 1,000 miles. If they did not, you knew you were in some trouble. I've gotten over 300,000 miles out of engines that consume 1 qt/1,000.

Oil is so cheap compared to the price of a car, why are you sweating this? Do you think it's because the engine is going to fail? It won't, it will run until you are sick and tired of it.

If it's a valve seal, it'll get worse. How long is the warranty? They will replace it sometime, just not now ... Keep good records.

Is your warranty void is you get it serviced at an independent shop? What does a 4-banger Camry cylinder head overhaul cost now days? I'll bet it could all be done for $2K at say 50,000 miles and driven on for another 250,000. Amortized over the life of the vehicle, it's pocket change ...

Originally Posted By: steveh
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

Quote:
“BMW vehicles have long intervals between oil changes (10,000 miles). BMW engines (excluding the BMW M) may consume up to one quart of engine oil per 750 miles under certain driving conditions.” He added that BMW’s M performance models may consume even more oil than that.

And with that, it is guaranteed I will never buy a BMW.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

And you probably shouldn't buy a Corvette either:

Originally Posted By: GM
According to GM document #2222953, normal oil consumption for high performance engine LS7 is 1 qt per 500 miles and that GM DVM Ray Moffat advised that this is normal oil use.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-z...ridiculous.html

^ That's the problem with googling for proof of what you want to believe (confirmation bias):

Only one person in that thread is reporting an oil consumption problem.

Most are saying NO consumption.

And many are questioning the validity of that 1 qt per 500 mile statement.

Originally Posted By: Benito
^ That's the problem with googling for proof of what you want to believe (confirmation bias):

Thats what irritates the heck out of me. We have smart people doing that constantly as ego and being right is apparently more important than getting at the truth.

500/mi per quart is fine if you're on the track...not a FWD commuting appliance that drives in the HOV lane!

I'm guessing it's not eligible for one of these -

HOV-Lane-White-Sticker-1024x640.jpg

If this wasn't such a new car, I'd say you had a stuck oil control ring on the problem piston. If they've truly done a compression check and it's okay, then your top ring and very likely the second ring are free and doing their jobs properly.
Often people will try pouring a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in to free a gunked up oil control ring but if you're still doing sealed sump oil tests, you can't do this (dropping kerosene into engine oil isn't a good thing).
As regards your catalytic converter, I suspect it's already knackered; poisoned by the phosphorus and sulphur you get from burning ZDDP. I'm no expert but it seems to me that cats are very tolerant of oil burning engines in the sense that they don't block or start breaking up. However it will quickly stop functioning as an anti-pollution device as the metallic catalysts deactivate.
Normally, with oil burning engines, I'd recommend moving to the lowest Noack oil you can find to help reduce oil consumption. However this fix is more appropriate to engines which lose oil as a result of excessive blow-by and recirculate oil via the PCV system to the intake manifold. If this was the case, you would see deposits on all of your spark plugs and in your case it's just one.
Alternatively you could try running the car on an HDD 15W40 and see if this helps. Diesel oil contains a lot more ashless dispersant and heavy base oil than 0W20 PCMO and if you do have a stuck oil control ring, this is what you need to free it up.
Good luck!

PS - should you ever get this engine stripped down, maybe as part of a legal case, make sure you get the mechanic to check that all of the piston rings have been installed the right way up. An upside down second ring might explain the symptoms you're seeing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

And you probably shouldn't buy a Corvette either:

Originally Posted By: GM
According to GM document #2222953, normal oil consumption for high performance engine LS7 is 1 qt per 500 miles and that GM DVM Ray Moffat advised that this is normal oil use.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-z...ridiculous.html
None of that has anything to do with a Camry. People don't buy a Camry for the hi-performance or to fool around under the hood a lot. My Camry with the same engine(?) burns no noticeable oil over 10K miles. Clearly there is a problem with one that burns a qt/1000 miles. Just because something falls within a manufacturers "tolerance" doesn't mean it isn't defective. An engine blowing up at 61K is probably within manufacturer tolerance as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back