12 month oils ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gallydif
I wouldn't do high mileage oil unless your engine burns or eats the oil.

HM Oil just has a slightly larger amount of seal swellers...
ERGO
for an older engine with larger/bigger clearances/tolerances than a newer engine (despite a rebuild)...

HM oil is preferred.

Period.

~ Triton

You can go with a conventional oil if you want and change it every year and you'll be fine. I have a car which gets 1500-2000 miles a year and I change it every 2-3 years. It is clean when it is drained and I use conventional oil. I had an analysis done and was told it could go longer.It also depends how it is driven. If you take it on long runs, that always helps.

Last edited:
Changing the oil today on the truck. Using FL820s and 5W-30 Defy. Usually do a once a year change (she sits a lot in the winter) at about 3,000 miles. Might have to extend to two years. Trips are generally 13 miles hwy one way and the occasional 60 miles one way.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Originally Posted By: gallydif
I wouldn't do high mileage oil unless your engine burns or eats the oil.

HM Oil just has a slightly larger amount of seal swellers...
ERGO
for an older engine with larger/bigger clearances/tolerances than a newer engine (despite a rebuild)...

HM oil is preferred.

Period.

~ Triton

If the seals are fine, there are no need for seal swellers. HM is only needed in this application if the engine is burning, losing, or needing to top off oil. As the saying goes: "if it ain't broken, don't fix it." An oil with slightly higher levels of zinc would be preferred here to protect the engine such as Amsoil 10w-40 synthetic high zinc formula.

Any conventional will do fine for the mileage you've described. Oil cannot tell time. It doesn't go bad.
You could go with a syn and reduce your maintenance time though.
Miles/fuel burned/hours run is what matters. Not time.

Originally Posted By: Jake777
If I were you I would change every year at the time of year most convenient for you and I would use a good synthetic and yes the Amsoil XL is a good synthetic. Is it better than M1 or PP likely not but no worse. Why go over a year unless you really hate changing the oil. I actually enjoy it so why not. Use a good filter like Fram Ultra. I don't buy top end filters because I think they filter that much better but because of the better construction. You could likely keep that filter on there for 2 years what with the nitrile ADBv. But again no big deal to change it once a year. Also what the other guy said buy your oil on rebate. At least once a year M1 is $12 off a 5qt jug and at my local Walmart a 5qt jug is only $25. So ya totally worth $13. Oh and Fram does $2 rebates from time to time on the $8 Fram ultra filter. As for your new Toyota if your not short tripping it often I'd totally do 12M 10K on good synthetic oils and yes run the factory fill out to that mark or don't. You likely will never know the difference. And lastly do use HM oil in the old cars as there is nothing wrong with a bit of extra seal conditioner when things get that old. M1HM.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would anyone spend more on oil and still change it yearly. We are here to learn how to reduce operating costs not increase them.
His duty cycle requires nothing special. Nothing synthetic. In fact conventional oils are usually better at keeping gaskets fresh than synthetics containing pao.
Come on man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back