Caliper slide pin issue, please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having said that not all sleeves could be affected by putting regular brake lube?

Nissan is known to make shoddy products, I guess that goes to 50c sleeves too, there is no end to cost cutting and [censored] engg.!!!

Regular lube may work for non-Nissan products but when it does hit you it is too late, the rotors and pads get destroyed.

Brake jobs are 100K jobs its better to use the glide product just to be safe.

I just finished doing brake job on father's car.

Ever since I got Syl-glyde and I also saw swelling of dust boot with permatex purple(ceramic) paste. I separated the two into different duties to avoid wasting.

Caliper pins = Syl-glyde
Brake pads contact points with caliper and clips = Permatex paste

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
on front toyota caliper slide pins
-does the slide pin with the rubber bushing go on the bottom slide pin or the top slide pin
- can they be put in "swapped"
and
-why do some forums say to leave the rubber bushing off (dont use them at all)
Lower (or at least on my 04).

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
the rubber swelled when I used CRC's Black brake grease

I did two brake jobs with that stuff before I threw it right where it belongs: in the garbage! Both cars were wearing unevenly and binding up withing a year. It's Sil-Glyde from here on out.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
I put the brake lube into my Maxima pins and the swelling did happen to me, I had to get the sleeves from stealership paying a premium

hope this product could be sold in 1-2oz tubes, no one really needs a 8oz tube, the pins take so little grease

You can get little single use packets of Syl-Glide at Autozone for around $1 if you don't want to buy the 4 or 8oz tube.

On the Nissan Altima I noticed the rear sliding pins are not a sealed system. There is a little pinhole in the caliper bracket on the opposite side of where the caliper sliding pin goes. As soon as you lube the sliding pin, grease comes out of the pinhole.

I wonder if this system is the cause of some Nissan brake problems.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I use the green Permatex brake lube. No problems with it.

Wrong, that will swell the rubber sleeve. There is a sil-glyde formula for rubber sleeves

pl. see video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nSF4cyBK9c

That Permatex product is designed specifically for sliding pins (the green stuff, not the ceramic purple one). I doubt it will cause problems.

The best product by far that I have found for slide pin lubrication is Sil-Glyde. Stay away from the green,red and purple Permatex goop, they all cause swelling of the slide pin bushing. The newer CRC Silaramic brake lube seems to work well for shim lube but I haven't and won't try it for pin lube. Sil-Glyde stays on the pins three or more years and doesn't cause swelling and/or deterioration of the boots. Sil-Glyde all the way.

How much difference (chemically/composition wise) is there between the Sil-Glyde products, and the 3M Silicone Paste in the brush cap can??

Does the Sil-Glyde have other additives lacking in the 3M pure(?) silicone?

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
The best product by far that I have found for slide pin lubrication is Sil-Glyde. .............Sil-Glyde stays on the pins three or more years and doesn't cause swelling and/or deterioration of the boots. Sil-Glyde all the way.

Its all i use as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back