90 Second oil change?.... Castrol nexcel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
It does appear that much of this Nexcel thing is due to the EPA being upset at so many people dumping motor oil into the sewer system & ground water tables.
First the greenies make us breathe clean air, now they want us drinking clean water too? Tyranny! Don't they know cancer & other illnesses are a myth? (sarcasm meter at full)
"Us"? Most people have someone else do it commercially. I assume (dangerous) that Drippy Lube and the indys and dealers dispose of oil properly. This worse idea doesn't do them much good. They'll have to stock more containers. My transfer station accepts used oil. This is a solution looking for a problem.

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
As much as we maybe laughing are knocking this type of oil exchange I say in 10 years this will probably be the norm. You go in and exchange your empty container for the brand container you want. The older folks in my family still use a old style coffee pot or Mr.Coffee and cannot understand why the new generation would pay more to use a Keurig. As the technology improves I am sure it will get smaller or at least more refined for the future car market.
Perhaps because my Melitta
makes it the way I want it.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Originally Posted By: shrooms
I don't think it'll take off. That looks like a $75 or more oil change.

More then that, might just be shiny paint but that canister looks like carbon fiber to me. That would be one big expense.

Unless it becomes part of an 'exchange program', like the Blue Rhino, and the like, propane containers.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: earlyre
it's just like Ink Jet printer Cartridges. within a year there would be storefronts either refilling, or "re-manufacturing" them. you would see cheap refill Kits sold on late night tv, there would be horror stories of the reused models leaking everywhere, or the car simply wouldn't recognize the After market part, etc.

and of course, instead of one standard unit, every auto manufacturer would have to sell dozens of incompatible cartridges.

seriously, it'd be just like the printer ink racket.

So cheaper to buy a new car than oil?

If anything like this ever does happen, there'll be a set of SAE standards to define the design.
The standards won't be set by a unit of BP or probably any individual manufacturer.
As someone else noted, this does seem like a solution in search of a problem.
The current sump and filter system is so efficient in its use of space that I can't see this self-contained system appealing to any vehicle integrator.
OTOH, you could mount this thing anywhere in a vehicle and plumb it to the engine.

...and what about the possibility of being able to weld the hood shut, remove all that structural compromise necessary to accommodate an opening hood, as well as the weight it brings? Have a small access hatch somewhere to facilitate a 90 second oil and filter service and let the workshop deal with any more involved servicing should it be needed.

Part of the problem here is a rather blinkered view of what problems exist in the industry and who are the industry's influencers. Clue: it isn't the man-on-the-street DIYer, nor is it forum-dewelling keyboard jockeys.

Did anyone notice in the video that when the announcer referred to changing oil, they showed a picture of the oil pressure light?!?!?!?

Yea, if you wait until that comes on, you'll be needing more than an oil change!

I, for one, wouldn't like someone elses sludged up tinted cannister, that ran 3 years without change. Will they refill on time?

um...no fecking thanks! just another 'green' product to minimize/eliminate spillage during the oil change process in the name of mother earth; in other words...it's a solution looking for a problem!

I prefer to buy what I want to pour in (oil) and screw on (filter) and I like to see the before & after condition of both the oil & filter

I don't think it will ever be adopted because it's so over-engineered.

The car would need some system to pump the oil from the sump into the Castrol Nexcel.

It seems a bit silly to me to do all this for an oil change, especially since you can already do oil changes with no dripping of oil using an oil extractor.

Originally Posted By: otis24
One would no longer have to worry about knocking a hole in the oil pan and blowing the engine.

Why would you say that? The engine would still have a crankcase, regardless. Once breached, the oil would find its way out.

Looks like a good idea, they are trying to force people to recycle the oil.

I suspect when you buy one you will pay a hefty core charge to force you to bring the old cartridge and oil in it back.

People are pigs, every time I clear an a lot I get dozens of oil filters tossed into the woods.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: otis24
One would no longer have to worry about knocking a hole in the oil pan and blowing the engine.

Why would you say that? The engine would still have a crankcase, regardless. Once breached, the oil would find its way out.

A crankcase would be a lot less fragile than a pressed sheet metal oil pan. Not saying it couldnt happen, just less likely.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I don't think it will ever be adopted because it's so over-engineered.

The car would need some system to pump the oil from the sump into the Castrol Nexcel.

It seems a bit silly to me to do all this for an oil change, especially since you can already do oil changes with no dripping of oil using an oil extractor.

So are all German cars yet it seems that everyone has got one.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
They should offer this with different oil brands. 90 second oil change...hmmm as much as love maintaining my vehicles, if it was reasonably priced I wouldn't mind it..especially if it was cold out.

Just think...have a spare or two in the garage, no matter the weather, no matter the timing of an upcoming trip, you could change the sump quick. I spend 90 seconds just checking the dipstick some days.

It would have to be able to use different oil than Castrol tho...the name alone would make it a no go for me.

That is why you change oil in September or wheverever it's 80 degree outside and use good oil and filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back