Triple AAA Batteries are JUNK - Don't Purchase !

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the title, I thought it was the little AAA batteries, you know, the ones smaller that AA, lol.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
From the title, I thought it was the little AAA batteries, you know, the ones smaller that AA, lol.
smile.gif

+1

I'd have to think that the heat of Texas is a lot tougher on batteries than the climate in Boston, MA. Environment and climate play a role in battery life. Parking in a warm garage every night is better than on the street. Checking the electrolyte level routinely is also a good thing. Equalizing charges every so often might be a good idea too. If you just forget about your battery until it fails you, then getting 2-3 years might be the norm.

It's also true that only a few major manufacturers make most of the batteries in the USA (Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls). In any case Johnson Controls makes the bulk of them and sometimes the only difference between a $75 and $125 battery is the label. So many batteries are now constructed overseas you can't be sure where it was made (US, China, Mexico, etc.). I'd be surprised if the Interstate brand is all that much different than the AAA. What does AAA have to gain by selling lousy batteries and having to replace them on warranty at 2 years? Most major retailers will only guarantee a battery for 36-42 months. The last one I bought was an AC-Delco Gold group 65 for $105 (essentially 700 cca). It was $20 cheaper than the ones at the auto retail stores and still with a good warranty and reputation.

AAA doesn't make batteries nor do they have them custom-made in some remote province of China.
Virtually every wet cell starting battery sold in this country is made by either Exide or Johnson Controls.
Can't blame AAA for your troubles and they at least gave you remote warranty assistance.
Also, your car is a Jaguar, which have never been known for great electrical systems.

Let's face it...with Jaguars reliability record....it's probably the vehicle!

So you have a 2008 Jaguar the battery goes bad in 2011 and you say you had 4 or 5 year old battery in it? How could the battery be older than the car?
Looks like your original battery lasted three years and all your replacements lasted two years.

I would have to think there is something wrong with your car and not the batteries.

I suspect electrical issues with the car, or maybe you have an uncommon battery size and are getting old stock batteries.

As many have stated there are basically 3 manufacturers of lead acid car batteries that are common in the US - Johnson Controls, East Penn/Deka, and Exide. Of the 3, Exide seems to have the worst reputation here and on other forums. Not sure if that is due to actual manufacturing issues, problems with their distribution and retail channels, or a few bad experiences from a minority of customers that get repeated over time.. Johnson Controls and East Penn both have great reputations.

As for AAA batteries, they're one of the 3. They may have different suppliers in different regions. I wouldn't normally buy one because better deals can be found without a ton of effort. However, sometimes convenience is worth the cost, and that's the entire point of the batteries stocked by AAA.

Last edited:
So you drive a piece of [censored] Jaguar that the OE battery lasted 3 years and the replacement batteries last 2 years?

I don't see the problem. OE batteries almost ALWAYS last longer than the replacement batteries.

You drive a piece of junk that is probably zapping away the battery power.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Please update this post when the new interstate battery dies. Good luck.

This.

A battery longevity is more determined by how well it is recharged and kept near to 100% state of charge.

The worst constructed battery kept fully charged will last longer than the best battery chronically undercharged.

Reports of battery longevity, good or bad, are more a testament to how well they are recharged, and the temperature they have to deal with. Undercharged and in a hot environment, be glad it lasted 2 years and find something else to complain about. Should not be hard.

They are simply a rebadged battery from one of the three major battery manufacturers, determined either by region or low bid.
Does not make them necessarily better or worse than any other.
The question is: Are they a good value?
Probably not, but I see AAA as a default battery retailer.
One buys there for convenience or circumstance (IE: being stranded.)
Therefore, one pays a premium for the convenience or relatively swift expedient handling of an undesirable situation.
If I were in your circumstance,I'd be finding solutions as to why your vehicle is going through so many batteries.

My guess is the car is causing the issue or you leave the car on accessories position and listen to the radio for long periods of time, often. This can cause an early death.

Originally Posted By: Nancy31
..... the battery I had in the car was an Interstate, which is the brand name battery Jaguar uses ...

My Jaguar has a Varta battery. The same one the factory put in it more than a decade ago.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
My guess is the car is causing the issue or you leave the car on accessories position and listen to the radio for long periods of time, often. This can cause an early death.

I'm guessing this too,
my 2011 Charger's OEM battery died in under 3yrs most likely from leaving a police/fire radio scanner
switched on 95% of the time (parked/engine off), despite the extremely low current draw.

My uncle's Lincoln went thru 11 batteries in 13 years because of all the electronic stuff that remains 'on'
for a period of time after you park the car, usualy short trips in below freezing weather as well.
In his case all the batteries were replaced under warranty but issue never fixed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
OP is single post Troll.

Don't you love how these hit and run posts generate page upon page of responses, yet a legitimate question sometimes leaves only crickets?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back