Why the Chevy LS is so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the same things that made Chevrolet engines so good to hot rod 50 years ago. But now they are even better.

Its what you really want. More cubic inches and more HP in the smallest package possible. And it's very reliable. Everybody thought all engines would be overhead can, but that creates a bigger package.

As he said, they make a lot of power, they are light and they are cheap. Also, they are easy to work on. You can change a head out in a fraction of time compared to an OHC.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Just wish they were as cheap as the old small blocks.

You can get a "seasoned " 4.8 out in a yard for next to no money. With lowish miles too. They just are not the ls motor everyone wants

A few pre-disassembled engine parts strategically edited into that tape would've made it much better.

Yes, it was good and informative but lacked a bit in the illustration department. Kira (part time film editor)

Originally Posted By: hansj3

You can get a "seasoned " 4.8 out in a yard for next to no money. With lowish miles too. They just are not the ls motor everyone wants

Yup. Picked up an iron block 5.3l the other day, complete with harness, pcm, tac module everything for $350. They're dirt cheap. They're still an LS, same architecture, same cranks, different heads/intake/cam, and still make nearly 300 hp.

I think for what you're getting- they really are. To make a traditional SBC do the things that an LS will do (virtually stock) as reliably as it does, it's going to take some dough. I think if you factor in the durability and power of an LS, the cost is probably similar.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Its what you really want. More cubic inches and more HP in the smallest package possible. And it's very reliable. Everybody thought all engines would be overhead can, but that creates a bigger package.

I hate over head cam engines Sadly most engines are OHC these days.

Originally Posted By: KenO

Yup. Picked up an iron block 5.3l the other day, complete with harness, pcm, tac module everything for $350. They're dirt cheap. They're still an LS, same architecture, same cranks, different heads/intake/cam, and still make nearly 300 hp.

Yup this. FIL has 230k on the 6.0 in his one-ton van and it's going to outlive the chassis it's in. Sure it'll be heavier than an aluminum one, but it makes ~315 hp just the same. GM is also pretty good about having the PCM on a short harness that can stay attached to the powertrain when it's yanked for a second life. They even sell manifolds if you want to put a carb on, in case your junkyard LS project was too cheap.
wink.gif

I've looked a few times for my old Chevy K10 and folks are proud of LS engines around here.

Absolutely nothing wrong with OHC and DOHC engines, as long as you have a single bank of cylinders I4 or I6.
OHC Engines in V formation are the devil.
qzluvlolghztvktp1ljl.jpg

Just wish my '06 L33 wasn't so noisy. Been that way since new. It's considerably noisier than my four valve '01 Modular.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back