Recommendations for a KEM 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a 09 Thunderjet Aluminium Jet boat , Fitted with a KEM 350 EFI , Basically a Chevy V8 Marinised , Been running Amsoil 15/40 Diesel/Marine oil for the past 4 years with zero problems , But I want to get away from Amsoil for various reasons , I have nothing against it , But now the boat will be the only thing I could use Amsoil in . So the customer rate etc wouldn't make it viable anymore . The boat sits for long periods , Oct to Mar and quite a few weeks in the summer , Probably about 30 hours a year , Its a fishing boat , so anchor up and do your thing without engine running , I want an oil i can get locally , Manual states any 10/40w will be good and I change every year , Reading on here Rotella T5 15/40 might be a good choice , I'm just worried its not a marine oil .

Thoughts ?

As I understand it:

Diesel rated oils have a spec for tolerance to water contamination that is superior to gasoline spec engine oils.

That spec would match nicely with marine service IMHO.

May I suggest Rotella T6 5W40?

Rickey.

Any of the big 3 Delo Rotella or Delvac 1300 or any HDEO oil will surprise you. Mobil 1 15w-50 or M1 10W-40 high mile if you want syn type oils.

Originally Posted By: Rickey
As I understand it:

Diesel rated oils have a spec for tolerance to water contamination that is superior to gasoline spec engine oils.

That spec would match nicely with marine service IMHO.

May I suggest Rotella T6 5W40?

Rickey.
The 5w-40 syn oils aren't needed and have higher viscosity improver amounts than conventional 15w-40 oils.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
For those who are going to reply -- KEM actually recommends "10W-40 GF-4 ILSAC"

That's not a joke.

So which oil fits the bill here , I have found 10/40w hard to find around here , Never mind one which matches the specs Kem quote

Diesel HDEO, preferrably one also carrying a gas rating. Very touch oils are the likes of Mobil Delvac MX 15w40, Rotella 15w40 etc.

You have no special use of low temp pumpability in a summer boat. Synthetic is also moot if you keep your oci shorter than like 50hrs.

I suppose this is a fuel injected engine? If so, you have a little lower fuel contamination. And water, I'm not so worried about coorrosion -inside- the engine if you run it during summer, so marine rated oil also seem a bit moot. Also, if you have a few drops of moisture, it will evaporate quickly when driving. Fog the engine during winter though.

Have used delvac 15w40 in my 5.0 v8 for several years and good pressure etc.

Last edited:
Thanks , I will probably go with Rotella 15/40 , Cheap and easy to get hold of around here . Plus as a great reputation .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back