Wix 51356 Cold Weather Failures??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, fram over the years built that reputation all by themselves... However they seem to be a little better these days and their ultra seems to be one of the best.

Wix makes quality filters throughout their whole line... This is just my personal opinion of course everyone is free to have their favorites.
On a seperate note why is it that people say sounds like a lie or it did not happen or my favorite is "he is trolling" lets listen to what he has to say before making a judgement..This turns people off and when they can help they won't...Anyway keep us posted

Ahhh here in southeast Virginia we got down to low temps of 5°F in mid to late February. So I would guruantee that western Maryland got to -15°F has it did in the western part of Virginia too this last winter.
I think this filter issue was either a. A very isolated incident or B. User error. Wix makes very good filters.

Last edited:
The post was taken from an Amazon reviewer up north not by me.
I'm in Maryland simply asking the question.

OP is not lying... I have had the same issue with som Napa gold/wix filters for my 240D a few winters ago. Was using 50/50. Mix of RT6 and RotellaT. It was gushing oil from the top of the filter canister. There was an issue with the wix gasket that sat at the top of the filter canister. I had luckily saved the old MBZ gasket, and replaced it with that, and leaking stopped completely. I have gone with MBZ brand filters on my 240d ever since then

Yes, I always thought MB had the drop in type filters, which, of course, can be made by Wix, and made incorrectly, of course. As for spin ons, I never had any concerns with Wix with my Audi, other than the fact that the OEM types were significantly cheaper.

I believe Wix used to recommend the 51356 filter for Hondas but that recommendation was changed to the 57356, after there were some reports of oil leaks thru the filter gasket from Honda vehicle owners. The baseplate is different. If you compare the two filters, the distance between the gasket and the threads is larger in the 57356 than in the 51356, which may allow a better seal.
I have not experienced gasket leaks in my Fit or my CRV using either filter, but I did have issues with leaks thru the baseplate and filter housing joint with the Napa Silver version of the Wix 57356 (Napa Silver 7356). This version is made in Mexico. I do not use this filter version anymore.

Last edited:
A lot of Amazon posts are industry marketing people trying to steer purchases toward brand A or B.

It's a very sophisticated world out there.

So I wouldn't trust it.

Similarly, you've got to examine some of the recommendations here on BITOG with the same grain of salt.

There are industry representatives among us too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back