"L-A-Z-E-R-S" Might replace LED's for Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
An article in the latest issue of Applied Physics Letters, entitled, Analysis of lasers as a solution to efficiency droop in solid-state lighting, proposes that lasers be used for interior and exterior lighting, due to the better efficiency Solid-State lasers have over LED's.

For present LEDs, there is an efficiency "droop" in InGaN (IndiumGalliumNitride) LED's, whereas in lasers, the efficiency rises as current carriers are injected into laser junctions, up to a cutoff point.

The Sandia researchers said,
Quote:
The results confirm the potential advantage of higher laser output power and efficiency above lasing threshold...

I.E., A higher light output and better color purity, using the same current, can be had in lasers over their LED counterparts.
cool.gif

SO don't follow me too close when I step on the brake!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
SO don't follow me too close when I step on the brake!
grin2.gif

Given the weapons that you used to work on, that was exactly my first thought when I read the headline, and who posted it...
grin2.gif

Hummmmm
I just got done replacing all the A19 base bulbs to LED's.

Costco has them on sale. Don't know how much longer the sale goes. 3-pack Omni-Directional Dimmable's.
60w output takes 9.5w
40w output takes 7.3w

Actually:
60w $14.99 - $4.50 at the counter rebate.
40w $12.99 - $4.20 at the counter rebate.
Fiet Electric makes both packs. Have five 60w spare packs & six 40w spare packs.

Now that I'm done, I'm not going to change anytime soon. Think I'll eat lunch then go take a nap.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Hummmmm

Costco has them on sale. Don't know how much longer the sale goes. 3-pack Omni-Directional Dimmable's.
60w output takes 9.5w
40w output takes 7.3w

Actually:
Fiet Electric makes both packs. Have five 60w spare packs & six 40w spare packs.

Now that I'm done, I'm not going to change anytime soon. Think I'll eat lunch then go take a nap.

I have some of these. I had two burn out. I called the Fiet number and they mailed me two replacements.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: Errtt
Hummmmm

60w output takes 9.5w
40w output takes 7.3w

Actually:

I have some of these. I had two burn out. I called the Fiet number and they mailed me two replacements.

Good to know - thanks. I thought the price was right. Getting replacements for a phone call makes it nice.

Didn't want to go the CFL way as they start out dull when first turned on, and the curly ones without a frosted surrounding globe just look weird (says wife).
Now that LED's have gone down in price, especially these at Costco with the rebate thing, I'm giving them a go. Just hoping I get some life out of each. I was surprised how many inside/outside bulbs I replaced for a small home (one bathroom light bar 5 bulbs, four other lights have 3 bulbs each, then all the singles).

Maybe for LED back light on LCD screen on smart phone being replaced by laser diode RGB pixel. I don't see any cost efficacy over LED on residential lighting.

I still don't understand how using LED to save energy on brake light make sense at all. Maybe safety because it brighten up faster and doesn't burn out too often when designed right, but you'll never recoup the cost over incandescent bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back