US Natural Gas to be exported to the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan needs nukes, there's no two ways about it. Importing gas for electricity production is crazy.

Oz is ramping up NG exports, and will soon be exporting 5 times as much as we use domestically.

Govt think tank has worked that $4.60/GJ (Aus) is heading for $9...that's expensive especially if you then turn it into electricity t 35-55% efficiency.

Energy/Energy, heating my home would cost the same if I used Regular unleaded at home retail prices.

Exporting keeps the supply down and the proces up for the gas companies . Us consumers are a mindless lot so to say.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
My biggest beef as a US resident is that this will make gas cheaper in UK yet more expensive in US. I want my cheap gas and UK's price spike is not my business.

Can't they just get their cheap gas from Qatar?
In the Northeast the elderly delivery system is the limitation so what can't be delivered to customers might just as well be loaded on a tanker and sent elsewhere. Of course I'd like to see the infrastructure improved, but it is opposed by "certain groups".
Interesting we can support all the third world dictators buy $500.00 toilet seats have a trillions of dollar wars without profit yet don't have the money to upkeep the nation?. Are the voters that stupid?
Gruber admitted they have to be misled. Doesn't take the NIMBYS much to get their undies in a knot. Hereabouts they now describe NG in the same terms they once reserved for coal. They're Luddites, and best ignored. They're feeding a gas fired power plant down the road in Providence with TANK trucks running through the city streets 24/7 in the cold months. Of course, Rouge's Island ethos is so self defeating it's pathetic. One party state, though, ra ra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Miller88
We can't even think about natural gas here in NY without setting off the enviro-whackos.

Not every environmentalist is a "whacko" and not every driller is "raping the earth". Most people on both sides reside somewhere in the middle.

My Uncle used to have some choice opinions about "enviro-whackos." He once told me, and no I do not know his source, that the areas that were contested and sometimes holding up pipelines, or production on energy fields, what have you.. were, and I quote: "Areas on a map so small that if you were to take a pencil and place it on the map, that would be larger than the area contested by some of these environmental groups."

Of course, he used to own a welding shop and retired pretty well off nice Exxon-Mobil investment, but, I mean, is he wrong for that? I don't think he is.

Increased production of gas should, as we see now in the world, lead to reduced oil prices, and ultimately at the pump. Seems every refinery is running at max capacity for extended periods. Since we have "aging infrastructure," as HerrStig and "certain groups" call it, any disruption sees a spike in price.. Then, the flood of market supply keeps the price low, and everything I hear projects it to be that way, for some time. Sure, maybe there is a maximum to what can be delivered at one time. But what if it continually runs.. That makes more sense.

if we have that much that some can go to the UK, then, cool. Just kind of further goes to put Global Warming arguments to shame, since, if it was a global issue, then people should be screaming about how it's a bad move.

I was talking about the natural gas distribution system, as was the first poster, you blithering idiot.

I am a blithering idiot as well but that is just the way it is, can't help it.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
My biggest beef as a US resident is that this will make gas cheaper in UK yet more expensive in US. I want my cheap gas and UK's price spike is not my business.

Can't they just get their cheap gas from Qatar?

but gas companies want their gas to be more valuable...

It's great for them...they lock in long term contracts and cashflow, and domestic shortages gives them access to the cream.

Eastern seaboard of Oz is expected to have shortages winter 2016/17, and we are gathering more gas than any time in history.

The corporations and governments realized years ago the consumers were no more than sheep willing to be sheared.

Interesting as most of the huge N.G. generators I have seen were converted diesel engines.

Originally Posted by jakewells
So will the export of natural gas raise the price of domestic natural gas in the states?

I would bet that is the plan.

Originally Posted by CT8
So will the export of natural gas raise the price of domestic natural gas in the states?

I would bet that is the plan.

It certainly did in Oz...the wholesale price went from $4.50/GJ to $10.50, and household prices went up. The thinktank said that was good, since householders would be exposed to global energy prices, and would therefore make rational decisions to explore alternatives...which they did, in this town by reinstating old open coal fires.

Due to the prices and shortages, Oz is now still exporting, but going to also install an import terminal to help stabilise domestic prices, and I guess that some of the gas that we import will be from the US.

(BTW, this is NOT a joke that I made up)

Originally Posted by Shannow
http://naturalgasnow.org/importing-shale-gas-to-lancashire-or-coals-to-newcastle/

Oz Federal Government are about to pass legislation that the only people who can present counter points to a proposal are those with a dog in the fight, rather than the people who drive 200 miles in a BMW to present and argument, and don't even stay to listen to the evidence presented by others that cause these weird outcomes.

Can't frack in Lancashire, but can build a port and processing facility, LNG tankers, refrigeration facilities, regassification facilities and transport it half way around the globe from Louisiana...all for the environment ???

I live about 60 miles from the first fracking site in Lancashire.
Britain is a small country, the potential problems fracking could have are not well understood and how they could affect other areas of our small island (especially numerous conservation areas nearby),
For example our waterways are highly shared and geologically linked across the country, we don't have the space to experiment and move away if things go wrong, one polluted water table or river would cause problems to a more signicant area and population than larger countries such as the USA. Though I don't specifically object to fracking, I do think that the activists and objecters are helping force a needed cautious approach until we properly understand the impact of Fracking in a local context.
Your very right about putting perspective against the alternatives, reminds me of the environment impact for batteries that have to travel half way round the world for the Lower Emmisions vehicles.

I get mineral ( natural gas ) royalties from property I own now, or have owned in the past. This used to be good money, for free.

I got a royalty check today from one of the production companies.

For $2.34 USD.

There is so much gas around here, I'm shocked the place doesn't explode when someone throws out a cigarette, but there is now so much gas everywhere else, they don't even bother producing it. My gas isn't doing me much good; they might as well burn it in the UK.

I know this viewpoint might not seem popular but I feel exporting of gas is a good idea. We have run trade deficits forever. Now we have a chance to rectify that and people want their cheap gas instead. It's not your gas, it's the shareholders. If you don't like more expensive gas, offset it by purchasing gas company or pipeline company stock. Can't have it both ways.

In Canada, most of the royalties are owned by the provinces, so they love exporting. Also, it provides large numbers of good paying jobs. Unlike Australia we have an amazing amount of political foot dragging and our LNG projects cannot get off the ground. The current spot price of natural gas is about $1.00 per GJ. We have cheap natural gas but high unemployment in the gas industry.
However, we still manage to export 8 BCF/ day to the USA. Although the USA is now a net natural gas exporter ( first time in 60 years), they still import as well, much of it going to California.

I heat with propane, for about 60 cents per liter. My mountain home currently is not serviced with natural gas. We are about to start exporting propane to Japan. The amount is 60 railroad tanker cars per day. I'll report back in a year to see if this moves up the price of propane.

Also, we export natural gas to the USA from western Canada and import a smaller amount in eastern Canada. It's mostly about pipeline logistics and available pricing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
Interesting as most of the huge N.G. generators I have seen were converted diesel engines.

Although they still build the engine based generator plants, the largest most efficient plants burn gas in turbines and the exhaust from the turbine is used to heat water to produce steam and then the steam is used to run through a steam turbine. Also, the future in Canada is for the CO2 gas from the turbine to be used to elevate the CO2 levels in greenhouses. Did someone say Marijuana?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back