yoko iceguard IG20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a used set of Iceguard IG20, its the old generation. Date code says its from 2009.

First time with snow tires, these are going on my lowered g35 AWD sedan. It was a beast at stock height and [censored] allseason tires. I hope its just as solid being lowered with snows.

I've had pretty good luck with old yokohama tires, so I imagine a set of snows stored properly should be fine even at 6 years.
Enjoy the AWD drifting you can do with some good tires!

Not to rain on your parade, but 6 year old winter tires are way past their prime. In my experience, the soft winter rubber compounds harden over time and as a result become a lot less effective at handling cold weather and snow conditions.

My Arctics are from 2009, and despite having a lot of tread left, I will be ditching them soon just because they don't grip as well as they used to, due to age.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I've had pretty good luck with old yokohama tires, so I imagine a set of snows stored properly should be fine even at 6 years.
Enjoy the AWD drifting you can do with some good tires!

+1 We have them on the Malibu for the winter time. Pretty quiet for a snow tire and great traction. Enjoy them

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not to rain on your parade, but 6 year old winter tires are way past their prime. In my experience, the soft winter rubber compounds harden over time and as a result become a lot less effective at handling cold weather and snow conditions.

My Arctics are from 2009, and despite having a lot of tread left, I will be ditching them soon just because they don't grip as well as they used to, due to age.

this was in the back of my mind. But i got the tires/wheels for a STEAL. I figure anything is better then my balding all-seasons (i have a summer set of tires as well). I'll report back once snowfall hits, which in chicago can be tomorrow or in middle of april.

I own a set on my Fit.

They are 4 years old now, these are excellent Winter tires, I would buy them again. They are going on beginning of November.

I had Pirelli 190 SnowControl from the Dealer, they were total junk, only used them one Winter before buying the IG20s. I still have the Pirellis... May use them as a final set of tires before junking the car.

I have a set of IG-20's on both of my wife's cars (2001 PT Cruiser, 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth).

Much better than all seasons in cold weather, light dusting of snow, mid depth snow, or on ice. Not the best when dealing with heavy slush.

I also have a set of IG-51V's for my CX5, and these are simply fantastic in everything I've driven through.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

If tire is older more then 6 months, I am not touching it. I know I am radical, but that is me.
6 years? No way that would ever see my car.

IG20's were a great tire back in the day, but very dated now.

More modern designs have better snow traction, better handling, better treadlife, better MPG.

They were a very good ice tire and a decent snow tire. I can directly compare them to the continential Extreme winter contact which I had on the same vehicle.

The conti EWC were better in every way... which is not to say the ig20 were terrible. They were getting dated around 2010.
There has been least 2 or 3 newer generation (yokohama) winter tires since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back