Three 30-9.5-15's plus one 235-75-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears the three flotation tires are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch taller. Can I use 3 of them, plus one 235, if I keep the 235 on the front? Its goes on an old '97 Chevy pickup. Thanks.

Yes, seriously, if you must know. My 17 year old son drives literally 4 blocks to the high school in this 2WD pickup. He does not walk due to abundant rain here and its across a 4 lane highway.

I thought these 4 described above tires would be OK in this limited use, since I plan on buying him a brand new full set upon graduation in 18 months. A half inch is not much more difference than when a new tire is mixed with one 70% worn (but still usable) and folks mix like that all the time. Seriously.

Not sure why you asked the question since you are convinced of your position. If you want to mix different diameters that's your business. I wouldn't. Your OP didn't say if you are driving across the road (WOW!) or across the country or if you have ABS. That rain must be terrible for a 17 year old.

Last edited:
I was not "convinced of my position" at all. Thats why I asked. I did provide further information in response to the "serious" comment.

If you live in CA, then you likely have no idea how torrential our rains can be here. We measure rainfall in feet/year, not inches. A 5 minuet walk can soak anyone to make them as wet as diving in a swimming pool. The intersection at the highway submerges in a foot of water many times per year. Also, in a torrential downpour, its a blinding rain and a pedestrian can be hit, especially while crossing the highway.

I tried to explain this just to avoid the "why don't he just walk" comments. Also, the truck may be driven a half mile or so to the food store or burger place... Maybe OP's questions should be given the benefit of the doubt -- as long as a reasonable question is asked.

In emergency situations, vehicles tend to pivot around odd tires - and the more different the tire, the stronger this tendency is. Unfortunately, you can't tell how strongly this is going to be unless you either test 9which will destroy the tires, thereby solving the problem!) or until you have an emergency situation (and that means it's too late!)

This situation is about about as bad as it can get - P metric vs flotation. I'll bet the brands are different as well. On top of that, there the severe rainfall problem.

I think this is about as risky as things can get, short of 10 year old tires driven at 80 mph. Again, the problem is when there is an emergency. You'll just never know when this may come to bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back