Triple AAA Batteries are JUNK - Don't Purchase !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone, I will never purchase a Triple A battery again. They are Junk ! This is my story. I have a 2008 Jaguar X-TYPE. In 2011 I came out to a dead battery,called Triple A, the battery I had in the car was an Interstate, which is the brand name battery Jaguar uses,the battery had to be at least 4 years if not 5 years old, instead of towing the car to dealer, the tow guy said " we have batteries on our truck, I can put one in ". I said " are they good quality " he said "yes ", 160.00 dollars. I said " Ok, I'll take it,he changed my battery with Triple A and I was on my way in an hour. Your not going to beleive this, 2 years later, 2013, I come out to a dead battery ! 2 years mind you ! I couldn't believe it. Triple A comes out again, they say " yes your battery is completely dead, you must have got a defected one, we'll give you another one free of charge ". I said " Ok, ". They change the battery and I go on my merry way. 2 years later, 2015, my battery is dead again. This is the 3rd time ! From 2011 - 2015, I have put in 3 Triple A Batteries ! I went back to Interstate Batteries. I had the Triple A battery taken out and replaced with Interstate. When it comes to Batteries you have to go with brand names. Triple A batteries are not brand names, I found out. They put there name on the cheap batteries ! There in the business of getting you on your way, there not in business to put in all these expensive batteries in millions of people cars, at there cost ! I will never purchase a Triple A Battery again. Next time this happens I will have car towed to car dealer or mechanic and get the brand name battery that's meant for my car ! Now that I had an Interstate Battery put in, I'm sure I won't be coming out to a dead battery in 2 years !

I bought an SL2 6 years ago. Same AAA battery that was installed, not sure when the PO purchased it. I often arrive at my destination and shut off the engine and listen to the radio for long periods. No signs of failure yet Not bad at all.

Why didn't you call Jaguar roadside service ?

When battery in my 2000 E430 died on 2007 Christmas week(6.5 years old car/battery), I called MB roadside service they came to my house to test the battery and replaced with MB battery. Same price with local dealer but without installation fees.

The replacement lasted 5.0-5.5 years. I have AC-Delco AGM I bought from Amazon last year in the car now.

Sounds like AAA took care of you when the batteries went bad. Not sure what your gripe is beyond being inconvenienced.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Interesting first post.

That's a kind way to put it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
You'd need a D size, many of them, to even have a chance.

The Subject line says "Triple AAA". Wouldn't that be AAAAAAAAA?

AAAAAAAAA is a pretty small battery. Maybe that's the problem.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Sounds like AAA took care of you when the batteries went bad. Not sure what your gripe is beyond being inconvenienced.

Ahhhha, the towing "AAA" as in American Automobile Association. OK, I thought it was a brand of battery (well at first I thought it was a rant about the little pen light batteries). So the complaint is that whatever brand was installed by an AAA tow truck guy is "bad". Whatever brand that may have been.

Boy that is 10 minutes I'll never get back, although I do admit to just skimming the OP's post.

Perhaps your Jag has a very slow parasitic draw.
Perhaps it has an alternator that's not up to snuff.
Perhaps AAA batteries ARE really bad.

Who knows.

I'd be inclined to think it's some sort of electrical gremlin being a Jag-You-Are

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
You'd need a D size, many of them, to even have a chance.

The Subject line says "Triple AAA". Wouldn't that be AAAAAAAAA?

AAAAAAAAA is a pretty small battery. Maybe that's the problem.

You're confused there, tegger. You're thinking of hooking them all up in series, which would be AAAAAAAAA.

However, what OP meant was that he/she is drawing too much current. For that, the 3 sets of AAA batteries would be hooked up in parallel which would give us a D battery.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Ahhhha, the towing "AAA" as in American Automobile Association. OK, I thought it was a brand of battery (well at first I thought it was a rant about the little pen light batteries). So the complaint is that whatever brand was installed by an AAA tow truck guy is "bad". Whatever brand that may have been.

They do carry AAA brand batteries, real generic, cheap looking things. They look like Exides, which explains their quality control. Up here they have "battery service" ford rangers that stock a bunch of ready-to-go batteries. This is under AAA-of-Northern-New-England's service area; different AAAs have slightly different procedures.

You paid the price for convenience. Like paying a fee at an ATM Machine.

AAA_Battery_Service.JPG

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Boy that is 10 minutes I'll never get back, although I do admit to just skimming the OP's post.

AAA has their own batteries which are just relabels of some other major brand.

J994Ftl.jpg

Those little Ford Rangers have winches on the front and do extractions from parking lots and stuff in snowstorms when people get stuck.

Those Rangers with a few thousand pounds of batteries are NEVER stuck!

If your 08 Jag was new, then the OEM battery only lasted 3 years roughly. Then another two, another two and yet another, two. You might have something going on with your Jag's starting and/or charging system.

I've used InterState as well. However, discovered a few years ago that my indy was using an under-sized battery. Even InterState rec'd using this under-sized battery. However, the battery tray was longer than the battery & the owners manual recommended a higher capacity battery as well.

I had experienced alternator problems, eventually getting two replaced before getting a good one AND my starter was slowly dying, pulling more and more current.

With all that fixed AND the larger capacity full-tray-size InterState battery, I've had no problems since.

Your alternator & battery work hand-in-hand. Just like two hands with the fingers interlocked. Something going wobbly with your alternator, will greatly shorted your battery life. Likewise, trying to recharge a dead or nearly-dead battery puts A LOT of stress on an alternator, as it's not designed to do that. You need to hand that task off to a battery charger instead.

Welcome to BITOG!
welcome2.gif

Quote:

Similar to the Triple AAA criticism, it is an ATM, not an ATM machine. 8)

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

You took the bait!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

You took the bait!

You should be thankful I read your post... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back