General RT43 Snow Performance differ for H or T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Consumer Reports magazine 11-15 issue
General Altimax RT43
They claim the T-rated have an excellent snow traction and the H-rated have a good snow performance.

Dang , I bought the H-rated a few months ago. Knowing the snow performance I would have bought the T-rated, since I live in the Northeast. On the positive side the H-rated has a very good handling score compared to the good of the T-rated.

The H-rated tires were cheaper by a few dollars per tire than the T-rated when I bought them, which I thought strange.

Both are good tires, so don't feel too bad
smile.gif

The T-rated is geared towards longer tread life, while the H is geared towards better handling. Most tires do the same, not just the RT43.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Both are good tires, so don't feel too bad
smile.gif

The T-rated is geared towards longer tread life, while the H is geared towards better handling. Most tires do the same, not just the RT43.

Both T and H are rated the same for tire life 65,000 miles. I feel bad since they are for wife's car and she doesn't want snow tires. The higher T rating of Excellent in snow for an all season tire is a BIG plus in snow country. The good is that she's retired and put only 4500 yearly miles on the vehicle. Her vehicle (Avalon) does call for H-rated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ronbo
Her vehicle (Avalon) does call for H-rated.

Well, in that case you really had no choice. Most tire shops these days will refuse to mount tires with a speed rating lower than what the car manufacturer calls for.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: ronbo
Her vehicle (Avalon) does call for H-rated.

Well, in that case you really had no choice. Most tire shops these days will refuse to mount tires with a speed rating lower than what the car manufacturer calls for.

I use WalMart for installation and they will only mount the tire size that spec on the door sill for a carry in. I asked about tire speed rating and they told me it's not an issue with them. Got two online from tirebuyer then in a few weeks ordered two online from Walmart. The online price was about the same but they charge $5 less per tire for installation if you buy from them. $12 instead of $17

I agree that you should check to see your tire installer to see their policy if you buy online and have them install it.

Last edited:
I was told at Walmart that if I wanted to put on a tire with a lower speed rating. I would have to take the rims off the car and bring them in. He told me that was the only way to get around their policy.

The H rated version's snow rating is still well above a lot of tires, so don't worry about it.

I saw the results in the CR test results and wondered the same thing. I don't have a lot of faith in CR ratings or test results when compared to my personal experience.

Owners of the RT43,in all speed ratings, seem to report good winter performance so I wouldn't be concerned what CR says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back