Pliers Set Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into getting a decent set of pliers for DIY home use and tinkering with my own cars, motorcycles, and lawn equipment. Knipex seems to be the most recommended and almost has a cult like following, but I don't want to spend that much since I am not a professional using them everyday for 8-12 hours a day. Do you have any recommendations?

Channel Lock. Last time I was looking at tools in WalMart they still had the blue handle Channel Lock U.S.A made pliers.

Harbor Freight unless you throw parties in your garage. Then you'd better get Snap-on.

I have a $12 Harbor Freight angle grinder that I've owned for 10 years and used it hard on many occasions with never a problem.

I used to have Snap-on and other expensive tools when I worked professionally as a mechanic but now it's Harbor Freight and I've never been disappointed. You'll really appreciate the prices especially the tent sales. Their warranty is really good as well.

+1 on channellock for price/quality. When it comes to pliers even occasional use can destroy inexpensive ones quickly.
IMO buy Klein pliers they are arguably the best there is. USA made with induction hardened working surfaces and cutters and built like a tank. Knipex is good but not as good as the Klein IMO, I have both and the Klein is much heavier duty.
Buy them once and be done with it, you can leave them to your son. You can get good prices online, pick the model and google the best price.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/pliers

49.gif

Tekton at Meijer is usually pretty nice looking. Made in Taiwan if that means anything to you. Seems to be where the good stuff is coming from these days. The 72 tooth 3/8 ratchet I got is amazing

+1 Channelock and vise grips. The Kobalt stuff at HD and Stanley seems to be OK for screwdrivers and such for low cost.

The good ones have hardened teeth that dont dull. Dull teeth is what makes em worn out and not able to grip which is what pliers are for.

Last edited:
I don't buy pliers in sets because there's always at least one of the pliers I don't like for whatever reason. For example, Knipex makes fantastic pliers, but I know I wouldn't like their nose pliers.

I personally like Wilde. They're made in the USA and they're the OEM for some other brands. I especially like their new flush-fastener pliers.

Channellock definitely isn't bad, either.

The USA-made pliers sold by Craftsman (made by Western Forge) are another good option, as are Klein. Ideal now owns WF, so perhaps some of their pliers are USA-made now, too.

I personally have found the grips on the Wilde and Channellock pliers to be tougher than the black grips on the WF-made Craftsman tools.

If you want to get into fancier stuff, then you can step up into Knipex, NWS, etc, but they're definitely not worth it to me.

Another one for Channellock. Of course I'm partial to tools made in Pennsylvania. They're made in Meadville, it's a nice little town.

I have one of the smaller tongue and groove pliers in my work tool box. It's my "go to" for pliers. The same size as a regular pliers but a lot more adjustability and a tenacious grip.

Stay away from the Chinese garbage and find a decent set. If you really want some quality tools you can find decent ones in local pawn shops for pennies on the dollar, or go to estate/farm auctions and buy a toolbox full of older Craftsman, Crescent, Channel Lock or Kline for $15.

I probably have 15 or 20 different types and brands of pliers, all well over 30 or 40 years old, and I doubt that I have more than $30 or so invested in all of them. Everyone of them is vastly superior to the Harbor Freight/Made in China garbage.

Channelock is a great deal.

Avoid Irwin. My dad had to sell them, and was given a free sample. I rounded off every single tooth when I tried to adjust toe on a Ford E-series van. I used some good USA-made pliers next, and the job was easy.

Don't cheap out on pliers. You can get by with alot of cheap tools but cheap pliers may not grip as well and you will have slippage. You don't have to buy Knipex but don't buy cheap ones either. Crescent seems to be a good brand for a descent price. Home Depot has some Milwaukee brand pliers that look very impressive. They seemed to be made similar to Knipex for a little less.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-10-in-V-Jaw-Pliers-48-22-6210/205652187

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-12-in-Straight-Jaw-Pliers-48-22-6312/205652211

There is a difference in the opening pending what you are wanting to do with the pliers as well. I prefer the v-jaw style here but if it is plumbing the others would be better.

Many of the better tool manufacturers have their own foundries, they don't use the same scrap metal HF uses in their dime store rubbish.

Awful small foundries they must be, really cost efficient for sure. My brother was the agent for shipping the S K Wayne tools, which also supplies Craftsman, and they purchased all their raw product.

Their "dime store rubbish" sure is making an impact tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back